10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 8:35 AM by WTrei

Strange Brook behavior

WTrei
      Returned value from subkernel behave in a very strage way (caused by if clauses)

To make a long storry short: I am sick of brook!

The longer version:

I tried to write a modular multiplikation function for 124 Bit unsigned. (I use 4 32 bit integers to emulate them, but leaving out the highest bit).

Now I wanted to test my function an became some errors, so i started testig:

kernel uint4 multMod(uint4 input1, uint4 input2, uint4 modulus, int mode) {

/* some not importand calculations here */
          //return doublePres0;                                                   <-- 1

if (compare(doublePres1,myNull) == 0)  {
              // return doublePres0;                                              <-- 2
              if (compare(doublePres0,modulus) == -1)  {
                  // return doublePres0;                                          <-- 3
              }
          }

//return doublePres0;                                                   <-- 4

In this code you can see 4 positions where values could be returned. The "compare" operation is just something like "(input1.w > input2.w){ return -1 }" and so on, so it doesn't change its inputs.

Position 1 and 4 are working fine, the results seem to be correct (input ist 0 0 0 2, output is 0 0 0 4). At position 2 some thrash is returned (3f800000 xxxxxxxx 0 4 )  with the z-part (xxxx....) changing!!!! (with all threads becomming the same input) and last but not least at position 3 just zeros are returned!

I don't know what happens here but I hope there is a immidiate way to fix, because this stuff makes stream computing impossible to use

Ps: I hope you're able to understand the problem - my english is very poor. If nesesary i would send the whole code.

• Strange Brook behavior
          hagen

If the first if() isn't true, neither position 2 nor 3 will execute.  So the return value is undefined, which may be what you are seeing.  Brook+ will return garbage if you fail to assign a value to an output stream.

You can just try initializing doublePres0 to something like unit4(9,9,9,9) at the top and check your output again at each of the 4 different positions.

• Strange Brook behavior
              WTrei

Things are getting more and more strange:

I tried to initialize doublePres0 and what comes out is ... more strage than the problem before:

uint4 doublePres0 = uint4( (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0);
                  uint4 doublePres1 = uint4( (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0, (unsigned) 0);

uint4 tmp1 = multiplyUInt124Low(input1,input2);
                  uint4 tmp2 = multiplyUInt124Mid(input1,input2, tmp1);
                  doublePres0.xy = tmp1.xy;
                  doublePres0.zw = tmp2.xy;
                  doublePres1 = multiplyUInt124High(input1,input2, tmp2);   

// doublePres0 = uint4( (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7);

//return doublePres0;                                       
                  if (compare(doublePres1,myNull) == 0)  {
                      // return doublePres0;                                 
                      if (compare(doublePres0,modulus) == -1)  {
                          // return doublePres0;
                      }
                  }
                  // return doublePres0;

With the "doublePres0 = uint4( (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7, (unsigned) 7);"-line everything is fine, all 4 output positions give me the (7,7,7,7). Without only on position 1 and 4 I get the right result (input is (2,0,0,0) and output (4,0,0,0), on position 4 just zeros are returned and on position 3 (4, 0, 3ee8e8e9, 3f800000) or (4, 0, 3ee6e6e7, 3f800000) is returned. output stream doesn't report any error ....

• Strange Brook behavior
                  hagen

Please post your code.

• Strange Brook behavior
                      WTrei

Ok, complete code for this subkernel is here:

http://pastebin.com/m19916be2

The error occurs in the function "multMod" (the function at the bottom of the code). The function tries to multiply two 124 bit integers modulo a given 124 bit modulus.

One 124 bit number is represented by one uint4 value with the highest bit of every subuint leaved out, because with this modification overflow-handling is easier.

The pure mult-function is split into 3 parts (low, mid and high), becaus return of one single function would be a uint8 - not possible in brook+, so i split this function into 3 parts.

The callable function isn't posted in that code-link, but is just taking one input stream and one constant modulus, caling the subkernel in the way outputStream = multMod(input1, input1, modulus,0);

Thanks for the time you invest to help