domagoj.saric

(32bit static) Windows builds with a free Fortran compiler&co.

Discussion created by domagoj.saric on Jun 24, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 by domagoj.saric

Looking at the archive I found that version 3.6.0 of the ACML is the last one that provides a 32bit static .lib build for the Win32 platform with a free (GNU) Fortran compiler. My question is why was this practice discontinued?

It seems rather pointless to provide and distribute a free library that forces you to use a 3rd party commercial compiler (therefor with no benefit to you/AMD/the library developer) only to be able to link statically with the library (because the ACML library needs functions from the Fortran compiler's runtime lib)...

Is there any chance that 32bit and 64bit builds with free tools will be included in the official releases again?

While here I'd also like to request that builds that link both statically and dynamically to the CRT be available (otherwise you force users to a specific linkage strategy that might not suit their needs).

It would also be welcome if you could provide (Windows) static libs that are built with "link time code generation" (the /GL and /LTCG switches in MSVC) so as to provide more efficient (most notably in terms of final binary size) final binaries.

Connected to the "space efficiency" issue is the usage of the CRT: looking at the distributed libs one can see that they mention (for example) many functions from the printf family. I suppose that those are from debugging code that was not properly removed from release builds and are probably completely useless/pointless in a math library (used in a GUI environment). If I am correct in this assumption then it would also be welcomed if such "useless code" be removed from release builds

Outcomes