I have succeeded in configuring and using with CAL 2 4870x2s running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit, kernel 2.6.27-14-generic and Xorg 1.5.2 and catalyst 9.5.
Adding further cards causes the system to freeze though the Xorg.0.log shows no serious errors or segfaults, which would be present if I were attempt to use Jaunty (see previous post: http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=328&threadid=112537&highlight_key=y&keyword1=jaunty .
* 0. 03:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
1. 04:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
2. 07:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
3. 08:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
4. 0e:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2
5. 0f:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2
I have tried both an ASRock x58 deluxe and an MSI GD70-790fx motherboard, which should both fit 4 such cards in theory.
Might this be a linux driver issue, hardware issue, kernel version?
Thanks for any pointers ...