3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 9:36 AM by edward_yang

Merging behavior with setCC instructions?

DarkShikari

The Phenom arch manual talks about how:

xor eax, eax

mov al, foo

is worse than

movzx al, foo

because of merging penalties.

But what about setCC?  What kind of merging penalties exist for the setCC instructions, which can only output to 8-bit registers, and don't zero the high bits?  Should I do:

xor eax, eax

setne al

or should I do

setne al

movzx eax, al

The former is faster on all the Intel chips I've tested, since the xor can be executed well in advance, but I don't know how Phenom merging penalties affect this.

• Merging behavior with setCC instructions?
          edward_yang

But what about setCC?  What kind of merging penalties exist for the setCC instructions, which can only output to 8-bit registers, and don't zero the high bits?  Should I do:

xor eax, eax
          setne al

or should I do

setne al
          movzx eax, al

The former is faster on all the Intel chips I've tested, since the xor can be executed well in advance, but I don't know how Phenom merging penalties affect this.

What are you trying to accomplish by these two instructions? Won't "xor eax, eax" set the ZF flag, and thus always make "setne al" to clear the byte?

• Merging behavior with setCC instructions?
              DarkShikari

Originally posted by: edward_yang

xor eax, eax setne al

or should I do

setne al movzx eax, al

What are you trying to accomplish by these two instructions? Won't "xor eax, eax" set the ZF flag, and thus always make "setne al" to clear the byte?

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I was only posting a summary of the code, not the full code; obviously some comparison would happen between the xor and the set.