7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 8:26 AM by JariP

Issue with CA 2.80

perjaka
      Getting "the device driver failed to start profiling, please try again"

We have a fresh install on about 100 servers of ours and we are running into a very strange problem. When we attempt to run a profile we get the error, "the device driver failed to start profiling, please try again". We try again, and it says a profile is already running. In fact it never ran. It appears to work fine from the original local administrator account on our system. However, if we create another local administrator account, it fails. It also fails on domain admin accounts. We have had 5 of our top engineers try and figure this out with dependency walker, process explorer, etc.

Has anyone else had this prolem or have any insight on how to resolve this issue?

Our OS: Windows XP x64

Muchas Gracias!

• Issue with CA 1.80
          leiy
          Once the driver is loaded, profile can be started by regular user -- though it only allow one user to profile at a time.
          What's the version of CodeAnalyst you are using?
          Try this:
          1) Reboot system
          2) Check if CALoadService is running after reboot.
          3) Use the "System Information" (msinfo32.exe) to check if caprof.sys is loaded.

I tried it on Windows server 2008 (x64). I was able to profile in regular user.
          I used CA 2.84.
            • Issue with CA 1.80
              perjaka

Thanks for your response. I looked into the msinfo32.exe and found that the caprof.sys is running as System Driver "\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\CAPROF.sys" I saw the CALoadService was started. Do you think it could be the \??\ prepending the path string that could be causing an issue? Its listed in the registry as "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\CAPROF]" with Image as "??\C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\CAPROF.sys"

Originally posted by: leiy Once the driver is loaded, profile can be started by regular user -- though it only allow one user to profile at a time. What's the version of CodeAnalyst you are using? Try this: 1) Reboot system 2) Check if CALoadService is running after reboot. 3) Use the "System Information" (msinfo32.exe) to check if caprof.sys is loaded. I tried it on Windows server 2008 (x64). I was able to profile in regular user. I used CA 2.84.

• Issue with CA 1.80
                  perjaka

The removal of the \??\ in the registry didn't help any and filemon.exe wasn't helping narrow down anything either. A domain admin can not run this only a local admin can for some odd reason. i'm not understanding why we can not run as a regular user.

I forgot to mention. We are using 2.80, not 1.80.

• Issue with CA 1.80
                leiy
                Don't remove \??\. Based on what you had said, it's not driver load issue.

When you install CodeAnalyst, there is an option to specify the :
                [X] Anyone who use this computer
                [ ] Only for me [UserName]
                Did you choose "Anyone" as option?

• Issue with CA 1.80
                    perjaka

I completely uninstalled the program, rebooted,  installed 2.84 and ensured it was set to "Anyone who uses this computer". I ran the profiler again and get the same issue. I verified caprof.sys is running and the CALoadService is running. No joy.

Originally posted by: leiy Don't remove \??\. Based on what you had said, it's not driver load issue. When you install CodeAnalyst, there is an option to specify the : [X] Anyone who use this computer [ ] Only for me [UserName] Did you choose "Anyone" as option?

• Issue with CA 1.80
                        kmart92

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  I am having the same problem and so far I have been unable to get CodeAnalyst to work.  (Always getting the same ""the device driver failed to start profiling, please try again" message.)

I am running WinXP Pro with CodeAnalyst versions 2.94, 2.84 and 2.76 all with the same result.

• Issue with CA 1.80
                            JariP

I'm having the same issue with CA 2.95 on xp x64 (SP2).

Tried reinstalling etc (checked drivers/services loaded & running and all that) to no avail.

I can see CA actually tries to run the target app (appears in task manager) but fails before attaching to anything (forcing me to kill the started task manually). CA itself doesnät crash - just complains about driver not profiling.

Older CA (2.x - can't remember which one) has been working on this same system in the past.

Any solution to this?