2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 6:20 AM by kenshin2k

CPU TEMP on Single Core AMD

kenshin2k
      Getting the CPU temperature of an single core amd system

Hello guys,

i have an question about cpu temp and single core amds..

while dual core amds got the DTS to obtain the cputemp, single core amds do not.

Anyone knows a way to obtain the cpu temp on an single core amd, which register have to be read.. or anything helpful.

I searched through many documents but found nothing

thanks

• CPU TEMP on Single Core AMD
          dpaulson

What family of CPUs are you looking at?  I'm assuming Family 0xF/K8.  I'm unclear what is meant by DTS on dual-core parts.  Are you talking about some registers on the processor itself?

Depeding on what you're doing, you might try Googling 'ACPI Thermal Zones' as these are objects defined that you can access via WMI calls in windows or /proc/acpi in Linux to get the temperature of the processor in systems that have BIOS support.  However, I've heard and noticed that the temperature reported does not always get updated when using WMI unless certain power management events happen like changing your Windows Power Scheme in the control panel which is cumbersome.

• amd temp
              kenshin2k

First thank you for your answer

i must admit i havent explained much in detail.

The DTS stands for DIgital Thermal Sensor and replaced the measuring sensor of single core cpus. It was used first in the Dual core series..

You can access the values of the DTS during an register in the northbridge..

but on single core system there isnt an DTS, there is another sensor..and you have to access that sensor different..but i dont know how..

The ACPI Thermal Zone is an WMI Class which is not used often from drivers , so there is usual no value .. so i cannot use this.

There have to be a register for the old single core values..

i have to say too,that i am trying this under windows...