1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 5:02 AM by Methylene

There must be something I'm missing... GPU Support? Documentation? Etc?

Aea

Evening, 

In the past few days I've been looking at stream processing for some heavy duty computing I'll need to be doing. I've been comparing CUDA and Stream and I'm a bit lost and confused. With CUDA I could find a list of supported GPUs, plenty of documents and support. With Stream all I'm finding is a handful of pages that look like a press release more then documentation. Is there a site I haven't found yet that has what I'm looking for? I'm really curious as by the looks of things AMD has cards out there that will vastly outperform any equivalent nVidia offerings, but provides no documentation or guidance.

If there is such a documentation site could somebody please point me in its direction? Otherwise what are the supported GPUs? What sort of documentation is offered? If you've tried Stream would you recommend me following on the same path or avoiding it?

Thanks!

Edit:

Well I found quite a bit of what I was looking for in the User Guide. Quick question though, is the 4870x2 supported as well as the regular 4870? I don't need them in "crossfire," I can readily send different process queues to each card. 

• There must be something I'm missing... GPU Support? Documentation? Etc?
          Methylene

Well I think we really need to start a wiki to compensate...   I would love to see those AMD fellows involved on the forums here to contribute too...

Maybe AMD could even host it.  Lets face it, the best documentation you can find usually comes from a good wiki environment.  People can learn about the SDK and post their findings on certain topics.  It would be a lot more collected and organized than just a forum.

Has AMD considered making an official wiki site?  I mean there's plenty of wikis on some of the more mainstream stuff, like setting up the drivers and high level stuff like that.  But how about a wiki site to allow a structured layout of documentation.

Lets face it, I've read some of the documents and I've reread them over and over, as I tried to understand the structure of the Stream SDK in general.  I certainly have sufficed with just the documentation, as a throrough understanding of shader programming helps...  However many people in this day and age have gotten used to the sort of resources you'll find in wikis.  I can't blame them either...  The information is already mostly in the documentation, just that the I too have trouble reading in the PDF format, or any normal document format in general.  I enjoy having all my information laid out on a website.

Essentially all that needs to be done is putting the documentation chapter by chapter into the wiki... Then let the community work with it, providing example code, tutorials, etc...

The top complaint on this forum right now is documentation.  Soooooo.... Yea, we should get that the way it is wanted, especially if you guys are all just R&D employees now .