cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

uod1234
Journeyman III

Render Monkey hangs on loading splash screen

Hi I'm trying to get Render Monkey 1.81 to work for our students in our educational environment - unfortunately when we try to run it on a machine without the user having admin rights the program hangs on the splash screen and will not run. Runs fine if we log in as an admin but we can't allow our students to do this. Has anyone experienced this problem, or know if there is a way around it? We are running XP with SP3. Thanks for any help.
0 Likes
4 Replies
plohrmann
Staff

Hello,

We have seen this before but I don't know that a real solution was ever conveyed back to us. I believe that the issue is RenderMonkey's attempt to access the windows registry at startup. I'd recommend talking to the school's IT department about allowing students' access priviledges to have access to that small portion of the registry. If the IT department is unable to set this up, we can try reproducing the issue here and finding a solution.

0 Likes

Hi. I have the same problem with Rendermonkey 1.81 in our students lab. Could you please send me which registres need to have access priviledges. Thank you.

0 Likes

Depending on how you install RenderMonkey (either "For All users" or "Just Me"), the root in the registry may be either HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, or HKEY_CURRENT_USER, respectively.

The path is: "SOFTWARE\AMD\RenderMonkey"

0 Likes

Since my last post, we have been able to identify the cause of the hang. The users should have read / write access to the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI\ES_Control

If you are unable to grant your students access to this registry key, the alternative fix is to remove the "RmPreviewGLES.dll" from the "C:\Program Files\AMD\RenderMonkey 1.81\PlugIns" directory. NOTE: removing this dll will remove OpenGL ES 2.0 support from RenderMonkey.

This issue will be addressed in an upcoming release of RenderMonkey.

0 Likes