cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

gnowicki
Journeyman III

vMotion between Opteron and Epyc?

I have several VMware clusters with either Opteron 62XX (Bulldozer) or 63XX (Piledriver) based hosts depending upon when they were put into service.  VMware's compatibility guide does not show Epyc based servers as compatible with any Opteron EVC (Enhanced vMotion Capability) modes.  Is Epyc just too different for vMotion to work or is this a case of it not being tested/certified yet?

0 Likes
1 Solution

It seems that I was too restrictive in querying the VMware hardware compatibility guide.  EPYC 7XX1 along with Opteron 62XX and 63XX are compatible with EVC mode "AMD Opteron™ Generation 3 (no 3DNow!™)".   So I can add EPYC servers to the clusters and maintain vMotion as long as I dumb them all down.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gnowicki,

Yes, live migration from Opteron 6300 Series-based servers to EPYC 7XX1 Series-based servers in a VMware environment is supported.

0 Likes

It seems that I was too restrictive in querying the VMware hardware compatibility guide.  EPYC 7XX1 along with Opteron 62XX and 63XX are compatible with EVC mode "AMD Opteron™ Generation 3 (no 3DNow!™)".   So I can add EPYC servers to the clusters and maintain vMotion as long as I dumb them all down.

0 Likes