cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

xdemoncamberx
Adept II

"Determinism slider" bios option vague description.

Below is the definition of what this bios option does, however, it's still pretty vague. Does anyone have a better idea as to what would be the optimal setting for getting the most out of video rendering, gaming and just best performance outside of benchmarking? Power sounds good but also does performance.

"The determinism slider tells the SoC how to operate; by default, it is set to performance determinism.

"Performance determinism" tells the processor to run in a consistent manner which allows consistent repeatability when doing benchmarks or performance testing. The processor will run at the best performance with little deviation allowing repeatable runs.

"Power determinism" allows each individual processor to run at the maximum allowable performance on a per die basis. This means that process deviation will not be accounted for and if benchmarks or performance runs are made, there will potentially be differences between runs and between processors. The amount of deviation is dependent upon process as well as other system characteristics such as thermals.

Determinism can be used as needed, but for the most consistent operation, the "performance determinism" mode is recommended. "

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi xdemoncamberx,

Have you had a chance to look at our Power/Performance Determinism white paper? If not, you can find it here. I would recommend looking at Page 4 and Page 5 as it better defines each mode.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes

So which leads me to my next question: Is this option of any use for people that are doing manual overclocking at all? Or is it strictly for people using XFR and all auto core clock settings?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi xdemoncamberx,

The determinism slider description that was in that white paper was for AMD EPYC. The EPYC processor family cannot be overclocked. While the setting may be available for Ryzen and Threadripper, I am not sure how performance on those would be affected by overclocking on those platforms.

0 Likes

I caught that. Which is odd that it's in the Crosshair VI hero bios, seeing that it's an AM4 board.

0 Likes