cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

jimtwest3
Journeyman III

Problem with HP DL 585 G7 Upper Processor Memory Board, 604048-001 Service Request : SR #{ticketno:

Hi,

Because of a new VMware Workstation processor requirement, I am having to upgrade the AMD Processors in my HP DL 585 G7. servers to the AMD Opteron 6380.

I am retired, and while I was working, over the years, I bought 3 HP DL 585 G7 servers.

To make certain that I knew how to upgrade my AMD processors, I bought several extra Processor Memory Drawers from eBay.  I did not want attempt to upgrade processors on my working servers without making certain that I knew how to safely and successfully upgrade the processors.

With some help from a friend, I installed the latest HP A16 Bios in my HP DL 585 G7 servers, and after much work, I replaced all the processors in my working Lower and Upper Processor Memory Boards to the AMD Opteron 6380. 

I did these upgrades first in my spare Processor Memory  Drawers, and then later in my production Processor Memory Drawers.  

I now have all 3 of my working HP DL 585 G7 servers successfully upgraded to the AMD Opteron 6380 processor.

I found that Half of my spare Upper Processor Memory Boards work fine with the AMD Opteron 6380, but the other half of my spare Upper Processor Memory Boards, do not work with the AMD Opteron 6380. 

I found all my Lower Processors Boards support the AMD Opteron 6380 without any problems.

I asked around, and was told that the HP Processor Memory Boards contain a firmware.  The firmware contains a list of the processor names the board supports, and instructions on how the board should process instructions from each of the supported processors.

Originally, HP Processor Memory Boards only supported the AMD Opteron 6100/6200 Series processors. 

After the AMD Opteron 6300 Series was introduced, the HP firmware was updated and installed in most HP Processor Memory Boards, so the boards could support AMD Opteron 6100/6200/6300 Series. 

If this scenario is correct, then half of my spare Upper Processor Memory Boards have the upgraded firmware, and half of my spare Upper Processor Memory Boards have the original earlier firmware. 

Fortunately all of the Upper Processor Boards in my working HP DL 585 G7 Servers that I bought, work fine with the AMD Opteron 6380.

If the firmware scenario is correct, then I need to find out how to upgrade the firmware on my Upper Processor Memory Boards that are not supporting the AMD Opteron 6380.

If anyone is familiar with the HP Upper Processor Memory Board, please let me know what I need to do to support the AMD Opteron 6380 on these boards. 

The firmware theory that I was told, may or may not be correct.  I can not find any technical documentation on HP's Processor Memory Boards.

If this is a firmware issue, then please let me know how I can update the firmware on my HP Upper Processor Memory Boards. 

I contacted HP Support, but was not able to receive any support from them, because I am not a business, and I do not have an HP Service Contract , and my servers are years out of Warranty.

I can not find any technical information on upgrading the HP Upper Processor Memory Board, 604048-001, to support AMD Opteron 6380.

All suggestions and help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim West

Email: jimwest@attglobal.net

0 Likes
0 Replies