cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

saywhut
Challenger

Nested virtualization with AMD EPYC/Ryzen and Windows 10/2016 Hyper-V

I am trying to build a cluster lab using nested virtualization but I can not enable Nested Virtualization extensions to the VM.  I looked at Microsoft's article on it and mentions that only Intel is currently supported.

Nested Virtualization | Microsoft Docs

Anybody have any insight when we will be able to do this with AMD processors?

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft has not enabled nested virtualization on AMD EPYC or Ryzen, but I would suggest reaching out to Microsoft for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft has not enabled nested virtualization on AMD EPYC or Ryzen, but I would suggest reaching out to Microsoft for more details.

0 Likes

Hello together.

In the Microsoft wworld there is the oppinion that AMD does not gave the needed information for nested-V within Hyper-V with AMD cpu like Ryzen/Naples/Epyc ect.

You can find the standard Microsoft answers in threads like this one

Hyper-V and new AMD Ryzen

So maybe there is a missunderstanding on both sides and it would be wonderful if all come together and work it out with the nested-V with AMD-cpu in Hyper-V.

And if it is only to make lots of owners of this awesome AMD-multi-multi-multi-core-cpus happy

Definitely. I registered here just to post this.  The lack of nested virtualization on AMD CPU is breaking my heart, and the deal for my next CPU/laptop purchase.  All those cores and I wouldn't be able to dev on a VM with containers   As containerization becomes more mainstream, I hope AMD will work with Microsoft to support this feature.

zinetwin
Journeyman III

AMD got me to register here too. I'd also recommend voting here.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/suggestions/31734808-nested-virtu...

I opened a ticket with Microsoft's Partner support on this issue as we have clients wanting AMD servers and we can't really offer them because of the scheduler performance issues on 3+ NUMA nodes as well as nested virtualization support. MS's response was as generic as possible indicating they're working with AMD on it with no indication of any timelines or even years. The original support for nested VMs came out in 2015. Ryzen has been out since 2017. AMD's virtualization support has been around for nearly a decade just like intel's vt-x. For some reason MS is playing favorites here.

For argument's sake I opened a ticket with AMD on the off chance we can get any kind of update on the issues. Their platform is an incredible value for the performance and generally runs toe to toe with Intel's offerings. Why they're not actively supporting the underlying technologies that make their expensive CPU's worthwhile is beyond me. All of the servers we sell this year will be Intel unfortunately.

tecpaulofagoto
Journeyman III

nesting is currently only Intel
0 Likes
joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Update on this from https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/suggestions/31734808-nested-virtu...

Bruce kommentierte  ·  Dienstag, 11. Februar 2020, 14:43 Uhr  · 

Hello Hyper-V fans! I was recently alerted to your feedback on this topic and I hear your request loud and clear! I run the engineering team that is responsible for the Hyper-V hypervisor. I cannot commit to a specific Windows release that will support nested virtualization on an AMD CPU at the moment, but I recommend monitoring Windows insider builds for previews of this support as we push the changes into the hypervisor this year.

0 Likes
joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Big update on this! Nested virtualization works!

Windows Insider Build 19640.1, create a new virtual machine with machine version 9.3 (you have to use powershell):

New-VM -Name "S2019 Nested Test" -Version 9.3 -Generation 2

activate nested:

Set-VMProcessor -VMName "S2019 Nested Test" -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

It will boot, you can activate hyper-v within that virtual machine, and it will work.

This screenshot contains everything you need to know.

Win10-AMD3900x-nested-virtualization-works!.PNG

Awesome, great information brother.

0 Likes

As for Insider Build 21313.1000, the first one that fixed my PREOOBE Problem and installed fine since June 2020:

The configuration-version can now be 10.0. New created VMs using the GUI will have version 10.0 automatically. You can upgrade an existing machine to Version 10.0 in the GUI. Now you ONLY need to run Set-VMProcessor -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true -VMName <your vm name>. And then you have Nedted Virtualization on Ryzen.

0 Likes