cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

GWG1
Adept I

I want to set up an EPYC CPU with 5x 5700 GPUs, suggestions?

I want to set up an EPYC CPU with at least 5x 5700 GPUs, 7x 5700 XT would be better, and the reason is for doing online GPU data processing.  No, I'm not a crypto currency miner or anything like that.  This would be for running a BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) project such as Einstein@Home.

I have heard of some wicked horror stories from users that can't seem to get their computers to stay working without one or more GPUs crashing or not even read by the CPU.

I would like to set this up, but I want some advice on what EPYC CPU, what motherboard, and if the Radeon 5700/5700 XT GPUs are good to use.

Thanks,

GWG1

0 Likes
1 Solution

Make sure the Motherboard you purchase has additional 12V supply pins to the MB itself.

The normal 4X2 pins are normally dedicated to the CPU.

Each 16-pin PCI-e Socket must be able to supply 75W to the graphics card (In addition to what the PCI-e cables supply)

If you don't have that additional input connectors, you run the risk of over loading your 24-pin ATX cable, resulting in fires.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

I suggest you post your question also at AMD Forum Server Gurus: https://community.amd.com/t5/server-gurus/ct-p/amd-server-gurus

That forum deals with everything concerning EPYC processors and motherboards and related software and drivers.

EDIT: I didn't realize you had posted your question at AMD Forum Developers for new Users. They might be helpful also.

0 Likes

Make sure the Motherboard you purchase has additional 12V supply pins to the MB itself.

The normal 4X2 pins are normally dedicated to the CPU.

Each 16-pin PCI-e Socket must be able to supply 75W to the graphics card (In addition to what the PCI-e cables supply)

If you don't have that additional input connectors, you run the risk of over loading your 24-pin ATX cable, resulting in fires.

0 Likes

Thank you both for your responses.  I will definitely take them into consideration.

0 Likes

Deleted reply since thread has been moved to this forum.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Moving this post to the AMD Server Gurus community.

Thanks.