cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

kirchki
Journeyman III

How to read DRAM accesses Hardware counter on Family17h?

Hi,

I am working on performance analysis of an application running on Family 17 processor, and I want to characterize some threads as memory bound, or L3 cache bound or L2 cache bound. To this end, I need to read Hardware performance counters, in particular NBPMCx0E0 DRAM Accesses from BKDG-Family15h

On the recent family 17h, we don't have this register, rather we have Data Fabric performance counters I believe. I am referring to PPR for Family 17h NDA version.

Could you please let me know how we could access such performance counters on the new family processors? Also, currently I am using Linux perf to access raw counters using rNNN syntax. And I hope the counts I get can be "believed" keeping in mind that AMD has not delivered much code into perf for Family 17h.

PS: The threads are currently pinned to cores. So, in essence, if I read per-core event, I would be reading per-thread.

Update 1

Just tried AMDuProfCLI. I am glad that AMD has something perf like for the family 17h. I see a set of PMC events, which are all wonderful. But, I am direly in need of L3 counters and DF counters.

Would be glad if someone could direct!

Thanks,

Pramod

0 Likes
1 Reply
mgbaskar
Staff

Hi Pramod,

The latest v3.2 version of AMDuProf has AMDuProfPcm utility will help you to monitor some of the predefined L3 and DF metrics. Refer chapter 9 in User Guide

0 Likes