cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

lingbonet
Journeyman III

How to make the memory channel configuration of the dual 7702CPU achieve the best performance

How to make the memory channel configuration of the dual 7702CPU achieve the best performance, the motherboard has a total of 32 slots.
Some vendors claim that the configuration of 16GB*32 can maximize the computing performance, and some vendors claim that the configuration of 32GB*16 maximizes the computing performance. I hope to maximize the computing performance, regardless of the total memory capacity. To use up all memory channels.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello lingbonet‌,

It really depends on how you define "best performance".  If you want maximum bandwidth, you will want your memory. frequency to be 3200 MHz.  For that, you will need to populate with 1 DIMM per Channel (DPC).  You cannot achieve 3200 MHz with 2 DPC.  If you want the best latency, then you'll want the memory frequency to be 2933 MHz, which can be achieved at both 1 DPC and 2 DPC.  If "best performance" has a capacity parameter, then 2 DPC would also be the way to go.

So I know you don't want to hear it, but it really depends on what your final goal is.

0 Likes
lingbonet
Journeyman III

First of all, thank you for your reply. I don’t quite understand the 1DPC and 2DPC you replied. The problem now is that the 7702 series, if the 7742 CPU is finally used, with 8 memory channels, the current motherboard supports 32  DIMM slots, configuration The memory capacity is 512GB. What do you need to do to achieve the best bandwidth or best latency?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

To get the best bandwidth, you will want to populate all 8 memory channels with 1 DIMM running at 3200 MHz.  For the best latency, populate all 8 memory channels and run the memory at 2933 MHz.  That's the same for 7702 and 7742.