cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

Andie_1204
Journeyman III

How to learn amd sev?

My supervisor asked me to study amd sev. What configuration should be used in the working environment? Could you please give me the hardware model?

4 Replies
TacoAndPie
Adept I

I'm also interested in this matter..

0 Likes
TacoAndPie
Adept I

Hey, i tried sending you a private message but this forum wont let me

do you have any contact information you can share? i have some insights on how to start and i figured we could help each other 

0 Likes
TacoAndPie
Adept I

hey, this forum wont let me send you a message since i dont have the correct rank or something.

I have some insights on how to get things going, and i figured we could help each other

do you have any other contact information you would be able to share?

0 Likes
Ray25
Journeyman III

To study AMD SEV (Secure Encrypted Virtualization), you'll need hardware that supports it. SEV is a feature provided by certain AMD EPYC processors. To create a suitable working environment, ensure you have:

1. **AMD EPYC Processor**: Look for AMD EPYC processors that specifically support SEV technology. Not all EPYC processors have this feature, so verify that the model you choose explicitly supports SEV.

2. **Motherboard**: Choose a motherboard that is compatible with the selected AMD EPYC processor and supports SEV technology.

3. **Memory (RAM)**: Adequate amount of RAM to support your virtualization needs and the workload you intend to run.

4. **Storage**: Depending on your requirements, select storage that aligns with your research or project needs.

5. **Virtualization Software**: Utilize virtualization software such as VMware, KVM, or Microsoft Hyper-V that supports AMD SEV.

Here are a few AMD EPYC processor models known to support SEV (as of my last update in January 2022):

- EPYC 7001 Series (e.g., EPYC 7251, EPYC 7401, etc.)
- EPYC 7002 Series (e.g., EPYC 7502, EPYC 7742, etc.)
- EPYC 7003 Series (e.g., EPYC 7313, EPYC 7763, etc.)

Ensure you cross-verify with the latest information available on AMD's website or the motherboard manufacturer's site to confirm SEV compatibility for a specific model.

Before purchasing any hardware, it's crucial to check for the most recent updates, as new processor models or revisions might have been released since my last update. Additionally, your specific workload requirements might influence your hardware choices, so consider those factors too.

0 Likes