Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

mikepippin
Journeyman III

Epyc 7251 processors boot/post problems

Wondering if anyone else has ran across this or can help, 

First off I purchased 10 Dell R7425 servers that were shipped with 7251 processors, long story short Dell shipped me the correct 7551 processors to put in. 

After the dust settled I have 20ea 7251 sitting around, so I purchased a Supermicro H11SSL-i board but could never get it to post/provide a boot screen, thinking the board was the problem, I purchased a Supermicro H11SSL-C, same problem.  Thinking that Supermicro may not support the 7251, I purchased an Asus RS500A-E9-RS4-U server, with no luck, it does the same thing.  Through all this I have purchased the proper RAM each of the manufacturers listed on their "tested"memory lists.

On this post the author mentions that Dell Epyc CPU's may only work in Dell servers

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/es-epyc-motherboard-compatible.24880/#post-230944

I can imagine this being true, 

BTW after talking to the manufacturers Supermicro & Asus, they want to replace the boards.  I sent one in, but with this many having the same problem, I'm not so sure this will make a difference. 

Thanks for looking in advance, if you have any ideas please chime in.

MP

0 Likes
0 Replies