Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

Kreita
Journeyman III

Dual EPYC (7702) Server won't boot with SMT set to Auto

Hello: 

I'm testing a dual EPYC server for a rendering application. If I turn SMT to auto in the BIOS, the server won't boot past the SuperMicro screen. With SMT set to "disabled", the server seems to be booting / working correctly. 

Thanks for any advice to troubleshoot!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Kreita ,

What OS are trying to boot?  If Windows, have you followed the Windows guide we have?  https://developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/56782_1.0.pdf

See chapter 5 for supported versions. 

If Windows, it sounds like you are booting a version that does not have support for 256 CPU threads.

0 Likes

Thank you for the info and windows guide. I am using windows server 2016. According to the guide it is supported but does not have x2APIC support (more efficiency for high core machines). I will install windows server 2019 and check performance and SMT function.

Thanks,

Ken

0 Likes
saywhut
Challenger

We need more information:

• What operating system?
  • Is this an OEM box?  I think SuperMicro is DellEMC so if you have it, which Dell server model is it

If it's not booting past the Supermicro screen, how are you changing the SMT mode back to disabled?

0 Likes

Thank you for the response. An approved vendor of Supermicro built the server per a Supermicro approved components/designs. It is running windows server 2016. I am seeing from the windows support guide that Server 2016 doesn't have x2APIC support which can provide added efficiency for high core count machines. I'm planning to try server 2019 to see if there's any changes in performance and if SMT can be enabled.

Thank you, 

Ken

0 Likes