cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

dahmad6591
Journeyman III

CPU significantly under TDP and optimal load temp?

(NOTE: ALSO POSTED THIS ON REDDIT)

Hi,

I have a system running an EPYC 7551P and GT 710. I was running some benchmarks and noticed something really weird about the system.

According to the benchmarks, the CPU is performing roughly 15% less than all of the benchmarks of this chip online. According to task manager, during the benchmarks, the CPU was under 100% load and boosting to 2.55 Ghz as it should.

As I was trying to figure out the origin of the 15% performance loss, I came across the CPU temperature.

The CPU, under 100% load, never went above 50C. I know Noctua makes some great coolers, but 50C at 100% load on a hot summer day is insane. (Room temp is around 25C)

To further investigate, I purchased a Kill a Watt meter to check power consumption. I believe as I was just browsing the internet, the CPU was somewhere between 0 to 1% usage with an average power consumption of 70 watts, or something similar.

During the benchmarks, the total power consumption spikes to roughly 170 watts. But, the total system power consumption is lower than the 7551P rated TDP of 180W.

Clearly, something really weird is going on with chip.

Does anyone have any ideas?

SYSTEM SPECS:

CPU: EPYC 7551P

COOLER: NOCTUA NH-U14S (AM4)

GPU: GT 710 

RAM: 16GB ECC 

MOTHERBOARD: SUPERMICRO MBD-H11SSL-C-O

STORAGE: 1x SATA SSD + 1x M.2 NVME SSD

PSU: EVGA GOLD 1000w PSU

0 Likes
0 Replies