cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

TheBalconGroupLtd
Journeyman III

Building A New Home Web Server And Have Some Questions?

I am developing a home based business web server to host up to 20 websites and potential email server.

1. I would just like to know which server CPU would be best to use?

AMD EPYC 7401P - 2 GHz - 24-core - 48 Threads - 64 MB Cache - Socket SP3 - PIB/WOF PS740PBEAFWOF - C2000
[PS740PBEAFWOF]

Or

AMD EPYC 7451 - 2.3 GHz - 24-core - 48 Threads - 64 MB Cache - Socket SP3 PS7451BDVHCAF - C2000
[PS7451BDVHCAF]

2. I would also like to know which is the best motherboard to use with the CPU and and other recommendations of makes, manufacturers and product types (Links to the products would help)  for other components that would maxmise the effectiveness of the CPU ie do I use a single or dual motherboard which make and model of motherboard do I use?  What is the most effective memory, GPU, Hard drives and other components. What is the most effective operating system and if I have alot of traffic how much memory which memory should I use and which Motherboard can facilitate the memory? What dual power supply?etc

If there is anything else you suggest that I should know or read I would be very grateful. 
0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @TheBalconGroupLtd ,

It really depends on the load of the servers and what backend applications will also be running.  In general though I would expect the 7401P to be suitable, or a 7351P might be sufficient.  Again: really depends on the load of the server.

As far as motherboard vendor, we have multiple partners to choose from and you would be best to determine what additional components you need to find a suitable bare bones platform.  Those vendors will have approved memory they have tested, along with drives.  I'm not sure what you will need the GPU for as most have a VGA port already (unless this is going to be a workstation at the same time).

Hope this helps.

0 Likes