Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

meuns
Journeyman III

AMDuProf and IBS

Hello,

I'm trying to profile a medium sized piece of code using the IBS profiling mode.

I work on both Windows (Thread Ripper) and Linux (Ryzen 2700X).

I'm only able to enable IBS on the Windows workstation and I'm only able to use symbols on Linux.

My project is c11 and I build it using gcc 7, clang 7 and clang-cl 7 on both platform (mingw, ubuntu and native windows versions).

On the Windows side, AMDuProf documentation specifies the tool should be able to read mingw symbols.

However the application just closes right after the executable starts.

Clang-cl binary embeds symbols the way visual studio would do it but the tool is unable to fin them. No option seems to output separate pdb.

On the Linux side, the BIOS doesn't provide the IBS option (I contacted Gygabite but still no answer).

Using Visual Studio is probably a solution but it requires to modify a lot of code.

Best regards

meuns

0 Likes
3 Replies
swarup
Staff

Hi Meuns,

Thanks for using uProf.

MingW support is broken on the recent uProf releases. We will bring the support back in the next releases.

clang-cl has an option to generate separate PDB. Check this link may be helpful: http://blog.llvm.org/2017/08/llvm-on-windows-now-supports-pdb-debug.html

Once you have separate PDB files, you can pass the path of the PDB to "Advanced Options" > "Symbols Path" 

0 Likes
meuns
Journeyman III

Thank you,

Do you already have a release date ?

I followed the llvm blog informations but symbols are inside the binaries (way bigger binaries) and uProf seems to ignore them. Setting the path doesn't change anything.

Is there a log ? A verbose mode ?

Best regards

0 Likes

MingW support with clang-cl has not been supported and tested by uProf it. So, there are possibilities that it might not work as expected. This action item is in the pipeline, but I would not be able to comment on the exact release date.

0 Likes