Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

spaceghost
Journeyman III

Amd uProf 3900X

Hi,

I am trying to do a Process profiling using AMD's uProf. After stopping the process, the profiler gets stuck on "Processing Data..."

Anyone knows why this might be? Running latest version as of today

0 Likes
14 Replies
swarup
Staff

Hi spaceghost‌,

Can you provide more details about the OS, profiling type, profile configuration details? Was it a system wide profile? Was Callstack profiling enabled? What was the profiling duration?

Also check if the env var _NT_SYMBOL_PATH is set to any value?

~Swarup

0 Likes

Hi swarup,

Latest Windows 10, I am just using the default settings for the application and that doesn't work, I also tried other types of default profiles but still no luck. A system wide profile works. The profiling duration was 20 seconds, no callstacks, just default settings to profile a running app.

The PATH variable is set 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Hi,

Can you try with the latest version - https://developer.amd.com/amd-uprof/ 

If the problem still persists, can you unset _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable and check whether it is working or not?

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

I seriously don't understand what the issue is. The application runs fine when i start the profiling, with passed parameters i need for it.

But when it comes to Processing the data it just gets stuck doing it forever. It would be nice to get more information about the issue, or how long it has left until the analysis complete. Maybe i need to wait more than 10-20 minutes (before i give up) to complete the analysis? The recording is usually 1-2 minutes so not THAT long.

The CPU is idling, doesn't seem like it's doing anything too. Or the SSD...

Running on 3.2.225.0

0 Likes

Ok, it worked after a long waiting time.

1. I would still like to have some sort of progress bar showing how much it has left (should not be hard to do at all, even if it's text only it would help out a lot)
  2. It seems like the CPU isn't utilized much, maybe make it so it can use more than what looks to be IDLE loads.
0 Likes

We will be adding the progress bar in the next release. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I'm on Windows 10. I haven't set the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH variable and disabled the download symbols option.

It gets stuck in processing data and I give up and close it.

How long did it take you to work?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi dkapnopoulos‌,

The next version release of uProf will be out very soon. The new version should fix the issue observed by you. Please try this on the coming version and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Swarup

0 Likes

Thank you! I'll check the new version as soon as is out

0 Likes

If the CPU is idling, it is most likely downloading the symbols from Microsoft Symbol Server, will you be able to try profiling with "Load symbols from Microsoft Symbol Server" option disabled and as well unsetting the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH variable ?

0 Likes
swarup
Staff

AMD uProf v3.3 has been released, which can be downloaded from https://developer.amd.com/amd-uprof/ 

Please try the issue on v3.3.

0 Likes

Hi,

congrats on the new release!

With the message log console I was able to see if uprof was stuck and managed to locate the problem.

On windows and with Visual Studio, it seems that uprof works fine if we set the linker option to "FULL" but gets stuck in processing data if we have set the linker option to "FASTLINK". Thus, I switched to full link and works fine!!

Can you check if there is any problem with fastlink? It's also the default option in Visual Studio

0 Likes

Hi dkapnopoulos‌,

Thanks for reporting your observation. Can you tell us which version/edition of Visual Studio you are using?

Regards,

Swarup

0 Likes

It's Visual Studio 2017. I don't remember exact version number though.

0 Likes