Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

Nkoutsabeloulis
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

AMD EPYC 7702 CPU dual Socket

I am using a Windows 10 Server with a dual-socket AMD7702 processor set.  

hence I have access to 128 cores or 256 threads.

When I run a multi-threaded application, the CPU Speed reported on the task manager's front is changing between 2.35GHz to 2.42GHZ.  However, there are instances in which the speed drops down to 0 (zero) GHz. 

Is this correct?  I noticed this because one of my software runs started crashing randomly.

I made the same run on another machine, which uses the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX CPU instead for which the speed remains constant during the run at 3.39GHz. My software run never crashes although I fully use the 64 threads available to the processor.

Please let me know what is right and whether I need to sort out the dual-socket processor with the supplier.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mbaker_amd
Staff
Staff

Re: AMD EPYC 7702 CPU dual Socket

Hi @Nkoutsabeloulis,

Please ensure that your board vendor has validated this OS & processor configuration.   They would then be able to further assist.  I would always ensure latest vendor BIOS, and Windows Updates are installed.

There have been issues with Windows reporting of processor frequency.  However, these are cosmetic, e.g. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/cpu-frequencies-dont-match Meanwhile, have you considered changing Windows Power Scheme to High Performance?  Or perhaps reviewing BIOS settings related to power?

Beyond this, and without having much further detail, some areas to consider to help you debug could relate to  NUMA:

Looking at Task Manager, are all cores used?

Hope this helps.  We will also look into a few more things on our side, and if we discover anything will come back.

0 Kudos