Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Scarface

Description

Thunderbolt 2 eGPU using AMD Xconnect Technology Driver in Windows 10.

"Say Hello to my little friend".

R9_Nano_eGPU.jpg

Specifications

CPUNone.
CoolerSingle small case fan.
MotherboardNone.
MemoryNone.
GraphicsAMD R9 Nano (Fury X) at present.
Disc Drive 1None.
Disc Drive 2None.
Disc Drive 3None.
PSU75 Watt PSU to case electronics.
CaseAkitio Enclosure.
MonitorAny Display port or HDMI monitor.
6 Replies
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Scarface

Hello,

Not a typical "build" and I will take this off this Forum if anyone is unhappy that it is not a full PC Build.
Note that AMD XConnect Drivers are only officially supported on Windows 10 using Thunderbolt 3.

They are not officially supported on Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 1, or with Windows 8.1 64bit OS. I will post more info on that later perhaps.

I just thought this might be of interest to anyone who needs to take an AMD GPU "out and about" in a very small portable form factor and quick to set up format, as I do.

I also think it is a really good example to demonstrate how great the R9 Nano card really was at launch, still is today, and to show the advantage of AMD HBM technology along with AMD XConnect Drivers.

There are now a number of PC laptops and Motherboards which incorporate Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 technology.

Intel Thunderbolt 3 Technology licensing is changing in future - you can see the information here: Intel takes two big steps to push Thunderbolt 3 on PCs

Therefore it might be more common to be able to run your external Graphics Card with Thunderbolt 3 in future.

I used the following Thunderbolt Enclosure for the above eGPU: AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box | PCI Express Expansion Box with Thunderbolt 2 Interface | AKiTiO

There is now a Thunderbolt 3 version of that enclosure, and a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU from Akitio which contains a built in Power Supply and is for use with larger cards.

Information here:

Thunderbolt™ 3 Series | Thunderbolt 3 Storage Solutions | AKiTiO

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I was hoping to see the "RX Vega Nano" launched sometime soon.

When that happens, it would be great if someone out there (Maybe from AMD) could try out a small form factor Akitio Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with an AMD "RX Vega Nano" please. 

There was some information about the RX Vega Nano here:
AMD Announces the Radeon RX Vega Nano | TechPowerUp

But I have seen nothing more recenly about that yet.

0 Kudos
darkwolfca
Miniboss
Miniboss

very nice

0 Kudos
kxuping
Forerunner
Forerunner

What are you connecting this to?

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Sorry I  just saw your question ...
I connect it to any laptop or PC with a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 port which  does not have conflicting AMD GPU installed.
If the PC or Laptop has an AMD GPU it must be GCN1.0 or above otherwise the AMD Drivers will not install/work.
Nvidia GPU installed works fine as no conflict.
Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I have been looking for a Threadripper motherboard with Thunderbolt support.
This is interesting:
Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... - YouTube

0 Kudos