cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

adr_tech
Miniboss

New member! Here's my rig!

Well I'm new here on these forums, just to give you a little background I've been working with building computers for only a little bit. (maybe 2 years?) But ever since I got my first opportunity I've been doing it ever since. Of course, the only reason why it took me so long is because I'm 16 and it isn't easy to get the resources for me

Oh btw I also do youtube videos! : ADRTechReviews - YouTube

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8370

Mobo: Gigabyte 990fxA-UD3

PSU: EVGA 750w G2

GPU: R9 285 ( Sapphire ITX Compact )

Storage: Mushkin 120gb SSD with a WD Green drive (1tb)

Cpu cooler: Custom loop

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Pics!

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

31 Replies
duramax08
Elite

Re: New member! Here's my rig!

16 and already doing custom liquid cooling? Im quite impressed. What else do you have in mind for your system? Looks pretty balanced. Maybe adding another stick of RAM for dual channel capability?

adr_tech
Miniboss

Thank you

And yes, I've been waiting to save up some money for another stick of RAM. I did have a dual channel kit of Corsair Vengeance, but for some strange reason they would refuse to detect full 8gb when running in dual channel. I couldn't do an RMA due to the fact that they were salvaged (which may be why they didn't really work so well, as they were in a broken PC lol )

Also in the plans is a GPU upgrade and adding that into the loop.

byrdman
Journeyman III

Have you tried going into the bios on the computer and seeing if it could be something in there. I have never had that happen to me. I have had it to where my RAM is running slower than it is rated at. I highly doubt what I said would help any and I would bet that you have already tried everything. You could try reseating it to make sure that it is there good. I am assuming you have already tried that too. If you have not, you can give those things a shot and see what happens.

0 Kudos
adr_tech
Miniboss

Yup, when I had those sticks in there they would read as full 8gb of dual channel ram in the BIOS, just in case I reset to factory settings and set the profile to run at 1866. Still every time I would boot into windows it would show 4gb of 1333 ram and CPU-Z would only detect one stick. Very strange. So I just ended up using one of the sticks in my sisters A10-6700 rig I built for her, and the other in computer I made to practice windows server.

0 Kudos
byrdman
Journeyman III

Did you look in "Control Panel\System and Security\System" to see if they were registering though windows? Something could have been wrong with the CPU-Z software and was only making it notice one stick even though both of them were active. You could also run a RAM test on the one that you think is back with the good stick of RAM that you have now just to see how bad the other stick really is. I am just throwing out ideas of what to do.

I will admit, it is a very nice build! My first build was right out of high school and I just had the bare minimum. I could basically only run Minecraft and some times Tera. The only way I was able to run Tera is because Raptr had it optimized for me. Now I do not even use Raptr because it refuses to optimize Tera for whatever reason.

0 Kudos
adr_tech
Miniboss

If I remember correctly the control panel and task manager both showed 4gb. It seemed to disable one Dimm when windows would boot, and I would actually notice whe using many of my chrome tabs.

Also my first build was with a 760k and a gt610. The cheapest I could. After I started my channel and (thanks to a very very long email) I managed to gain the support of Sam and AMD, and thanks to that I was able provide content for my channel and upgrade my computer with the parts they sent over. With the extra money I got the WC part, the case, and power supply. (As well as storage) I think I'm very very lucky.

0 Kudos
byrdman
Journeyman III

I would say you are! my first build was after I started working at a grocery store and had little money. I bought the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Editioin (www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913 here is the link if you care to look). I did not buy a new graphics card though. I bought the XFX Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics Card HD577. I ran that set up for about 4 years I think.

0 Kudos
adr_tech
Miniboss

I've heard nothing but good thing about Phenom Chips, and I've even honestly considered grabbing one from ebay just to see how the preform (although today's games might not do it justice)

0 Kudos
byrdman
Journeyman III

Actually, I used Phenom processor in my fiancee's gaming rig that I built for her. It handles Tera (resource hog) pretty well actually even though it is an old/older chip.

0 Kudos