cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

coachrevere
Journeyman III

My 1st build (Advice Needed...)

So I have completely revamped the build. Open to thoughts. I will mainly use this rig for daily browsing as well as watching YouTube videos. From time to time will game and want the build to support any game out there right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLyDk6 

(Sorry if I'm not supposed to post an outside link but didn't want to take 45 minutes relinking everything)

----------------------------------

So as the title suggests I am building my first computer from scratch. I have been a semi-tech person all my life (setting up my own surround sound, re-wiring my modem/router to better cover my house with Wifi, as well as installing upgrades to my computer over the years (new HDD, 2nd GPU, additional RAM).

Anyway, here are the parts I plan on using. Please give me feedback if I am going in the right direction (overkill, not enough, etc.)

I plan to salvage my HDD and PSU. I currently have:

HDD (bought in 6/25/16) - will be running Win10 Home

Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDRE1TB

PSU (original - about 6-8yrs old) - will this be compatible with all the new parts?

Thermaltake 850W Desktop Power Supply PSU

Things I have selected to purchase (current cost $971.06):

CPU ($196.25)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X (12-core/24-thread) Desktop Processor

Compound Paste ($7.79) - does brand/price really matter? I've heard that its all the same, but read reviews that this brand is "best"

Arctic Silver Thermal Cooling Compound Paste 3.5g High-Density Polysynthetic Silver by Nabob Deals w...

MOBO ($239.99) - getting mixed signals about this board. Several reviews say it is great while others say it is trash with very little in-between.  The good reviews say that all of the bad reviews are coming from incorrect installation . . . thoughts?

ASROCK Socket TR4 AMD X399, with Chips ATX Gaming Motherboard X399 Phantom Gaming 6

GPU ($279.99)

Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC w/ Backplate Special Edition (U...

RAM ($157.99)

Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16

Case ($49.99)

Fractal Design Focus G - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX - High Airflow - 2X Silent ll Series 120mm LE...

Additional Case Fans ($39.06)

DEEPCOOL RF120 3in1 3X120mm RGB LED PWM Fans with Fan Hub and Extension

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: My 1st build (Advice Needed...)

One thing to note.  It looks like the motherboard you selected has 2X8pin EPS power connectors for the CPU in the upper left corner.  Your older power supply looks like it is only equipped with 1X8pin 12V power, and 1x4pin.  

It would be good to look for something that has two 8pin power cables for the CPU, otherwise things may not boot up properly, if at all.  Something like the link below should work.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Certified-Modular-Microsoft-Standby/dp/B07RF237B1 

Also, spending $279.00 on an RX 590 variant is pretty high.  You can get similar performance with a more updated feature set with a 5500 XT variant for less money.  Or, just slightly less performance from an RX 580 that would be substantially cheaper.  

Threadripper processors do get a bit of a performance bump if all RAM channels are populated.  Threadripper platforms have 4 memory channels, so it would be better to get a matched 8X4GB kit vs 2X16GB.

Also, the Threadripper platform you have selected cannot be upgraded past the 2000 series.  It may be worthwhile to buy an AM4 board so that it can be upgraded to the 4000 series in the future.  AM4 boards do come with single 8-pin or 8+4pin power variants which would eliminate the need to buy that new PSU.

0 Kudos
jamesc359
Miniboss

You don't mention what this system is for; are you using it for content production (3D rendering/video encoding/etc) or is its primary purpose in life going to be gaming? Threadripper is not for gamers, or really the majority of people. If content creation is your bag then by all means. Otherwise my suggestion is to get something like a Ryzen 7 2700X, a cheaper motherboard and then spend the money you saved on something like an RX 5700 XT. Unless you need a specific set of features, a Ryzen 2700X and a AM4 motherboard in the $100 range is usually ideal.

Think about what you need and don't. Your mouse and keyboard certainly don't benefit from having USB 3. So with the Threadripper and the TR4 board; how many of those dozen or so USB 3 ports would you be using? What are you going to be using those 2 extra PCIE x16 slots for? Will you really populate all 8 of those RAM slots? And is it really desirable to have a huge number of slower CPU cores? It's nice for rendering, but not gaming.

Obviously your computing needs may differ, but if you're a gamer I'd still suggest looking into the Ryzen 2700X (which at around $160 is a steal right now) and either an RX 5700 XT or an RX 580. Like ajlueke‌ said, the RX 590 is priced too high for the little bit of performance that it gives over the RX 580.

0 Kudos
coachrevere
Journeyman III

So I have completely changed my build. Nothing on this page (minus the box) is the same.

0 Kudos