Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

kxuping
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Monolith

One of the Ram modules is kapput (broken). The other worked fine at 2933 on every dimm slot. So I think the CPU and motherboards are OK.

I apply any stress on memory and I get a BSOD, OCCT, Intel Burn Test AVX with that module.

Now I have to buy a new ram kit to send the Corsair to RMA.

What kit do you recommend 16/32/64GB ram?

0 Kudos
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

I can't speak highly enough of G.Skill's memory - you do a lot of VM work right? so I would probably recommend at least 32GB depending on your load. I would definitely check out any of their single-rank, Samsung B-die, 8GB/DIMM kits. They may be a bit pricey, but well worth it. I would stick with kits in the 2600MHz - 3600MHz range.

If you're not going to use this system for memory intensive loads, I'd stick with 16GB kits which are easy to find. Again, look at the Flare-X kits, but any Dual kits (2x8GB) should work.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

Since I purchased a new totally passive case for the living room, I have been converting the ABS Canyon 695 over into an office build.  The first step in doing that was selecting a monitor.  I picked up the Acer XF270HU, a 2560x1440 monitor with a freesync range of 40-144 Hz.

I thought it would be interesting to see how this display performed against my LCD television that had been serving as my monitor.

First, the television.  This Samsung model UN55D6000 was I believe from 2009 and was one of the earlier models to feature an LED backlight behind the LCD screen. I used DisplayCal to calibrate the screen, an then ran the extended test chart to test for color accuracy.  Let's see how we did.

pastedImage_3.png

The color accuracy for an 8+ year old LCD is pretty good!  An average delta E of less than 1 is recommended and the Samsung scores 0.64, the whitepoint also falls within recommended specs!  The maximum delta E however, is only within the nominal range of <4.  I had a 3.73 down in the blue/green range and a few other values above 2.

Alright then, let's see how this fancy pants Freesync IPS display holds up once calibrated.

pastedImage_4.png

The average difference between expected and measured color values drops by 45% on the Acer.  The whitepoint balance improves by 33%.  The maximum difference in measured and nominal values for a color is once again in the blue range, but only a 1.13, a whopping 70% improvement over my aging TV.

So not only does a modern monitor add cool features like freesync and high resolution, it also supports significantly improved color accuracy over my older display.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

Rig has been updated with an RX Vega 64.  Currently I am just using the reference cooler, but I am still seeing a 30% gain in Time Spy over my R9 Fury X Score.

pastedImage_0.png

kxuping
Forerunner
Forerunner

you need to update the parts on the first post. I thought it still had a FX 8350 inside, but its a R7 1800X.  

great score.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

I added the second table after I upgraded.  I will consolidate them as I am doing a few additional modifications.

0 Kudos
darkwolfca
Miniboss
Miniboss

crazy setup. love it, nice and clean look