Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

Exemplar
Exemplar

Monolith

Description

This rig was the product of a desire to have a gaming machine that also acted as a repository for all my DVD/Blu-ray movies in the form of MKV rips.  The case I chose was the ABS Canyon 695 which is a relabeled Lian-Li TYR PC-X2000.  I chose this case because of the hot swappable HDD backplane and the three 140mm input fans to cool gaming components.  I have updated the front headers to USB 3.0 and made a few other minor mods over the years  I game primarily with a Xbox One controller from the couch, but have recently added a Razer Turret to the setup that works quite well.  The PC was originally designed with a DDR2, Phenom 940 build, but since 2011 the platform has been an ASUS Sabertooth R1.0 I purchased in 2011 while the FX-8350 was added in 2012..

The whole unit is plugged into my entertainment system consisting of Polk speakers, a Hsu Research sub and a Marantz 5010 receiver.   My main display in an LCD HDTV purchased also in 2009.  While a bit on the older side, I have had no issues with it, and produced great results when calibrated with DisplayCal.

The graphics card has also changed a few times over the years.  Currently, I have been running an R9 Fury X since July 2015 replacing an HD7970.

All TV MKV rips are streamed throughout the house from this location using Kodi as the main playback software

DSC02909.JPG

DSC02910.JPG

DSC02913.JPG

Specifications

CPUFX-8350
CoolerNoctua NH-U12P
MotherboardASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1.0
MemoryG. Skill Sniper 1866MHz DDR3 16GB
GraphicsR9 Fury X
Disc Drive 1Samsung 830 SSD 250 GB
Disc Drive 2Samsung 839 SSD 250 GB (game Installs)
Disc Drive 315 TB HDD storage for MKVs
PSUCorsair AX860
CaseABS Canyon 695
MonitorSamsung UN55d6000
Tags (1)
37 Replies
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Monolith

love this rig setup! really nice case! and lots of storage space.

Forerunner
Forerunner

nice HTPC. more pictures of the speakers, AV stuff, couch, etc...

Exemplar
Exemplar

Monolith has been enhanced!

CPURyzen 1800X @ 4.00 GHz
CoolerNoctua NH-D15
MotherboardASRock X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming
Memory

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4 32GB

GraphicsRX Vega 64
Disc Drive 1Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Disc Drive 2Samsung 830 SSD 250 GB
Disc Drive 315 TB HDD storage for MKVs
PSUCorsair AX860
CaseABS Canyon 695
MonitorAcer XF270HU

DSC03744.JPG

DSC03745.JPG

Love the way this build turned out!  See below for some comparisons with the original version!

Exemplar
Exemplar

I overclocked my Ryzen 1800X CPU to 4.0 GHz, the identical frequency as my FX-8350.  I ran 3DMark and compared the results. 

3D-Mark.PNG

While the GPU score was slightly slower, the physics score jumped by 100% over the FX CPU!

Next I played with the RAM a bit and got the overclock stable at 2,667MHz from the stock 2,133MHz.  I couldn't get the XMP profile to be bootable at all, so I set the voltage, timings etc. manually in the BIOS before repeating the firestrike benchmark.

3D-Mark2.PNG

I gained another 50% in the physics score!  My 3DMark score is now 45% higher without changing the GPU!  Next I compared the benchmark results of the DX12 game Gears of War 4.  The original FX-8350 results are shown below.

Gears of War 4 2_25_2017 8_42_14 AM.png

I chose this benchmark because the CPU render FPS on the FX-8350 caused this benchmark to be CPU bound nearly half the time.  I then repeated the benchmark on the updated Monolith.

Gears of War 4 3_13_2017 7_44_01 PM.png

CPU scores are impressive!  The CPU render is 100% higher!  Really happy with what I am seeing so far.

Forerunner
Forerunner

I want something similar for my htpc. Do you hear the fans in your room when in a silent scene of a movie or game?

Congrats for the new PC

Exemplar
Exemplar

Actually no.  It was a big reason I chose this case back in 2009.  There are three 140mm intake fans and one 140mm exhaust.  That, coupled with the two 140mm on my new Noctua NH-D15 provides tremendous airflow at extremely low noise.  I will get a sound level meter and check the actual decibels this evening.  The case is designed to allow for both high end gaming components and quiet operation.  No clear side panel either, so it doesn't throw unnecessary light into a home theater room.  The only fan I can usually hear is the 120mm fan on the R9 Fury X water block when it spins up. 

I did change the arrangement of the fans to maximize airflow in one direction when I rebuilt the PC.  I attached the radiator of the Fury X behind one of the intake fans and had it's own fan drawing the air through on the back of the radiator.  I ran the 3Dmark stress test on my system at 4 GHz for the CPU and 2667 MHz for the memory.  The GPU leveled off at 50C, and only reached that temp at the very end of the run.  The fan never sped up to a higher rpm in this setup while the system stability was fantastic with the CPU and mem overclock.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming 

These really are excellent CPUs.  The render and transcode performance is on par with the best, while gaming performance does seem to lose a bit of FPS with SMT enabled, but the processor will not be a bottle neck, even at 1080p.

Exemplar
Exemplar

With the fan control on the case set to medium, I get a decibel reading of 35.  That is right up next to the case.  At my sitting position about 10 ft away it drops to 31, likely because of other ambient noise in the house.  So not quite studio level, but still pretty good. 

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Latest update with the ASrock Fatal1ty Professional Gaming I now have my system stable with the R7 1800x at 4.1 GHz.  Also have the R9 Fury X stable at 1,216 MHz.  3DMark results can be found below.

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

Exemplar
Exemplar

I opted to scale back to 4.0 Ghz from 4.1.  4.1 took 1.375V to be stable and pushed the CPU over 70C under load.  4.0 is stable at 1.312 on my chip and never breaks 70C in the stress test.

However, I did manage to post an almost identical 3Dmark score by pushing my RAM to 3200 MHz 

I was only able to get two 8Gb sticks to run at 3200 MHz.  Larger 16GB sticks capped at 2667 for me, as did running with four DIMMs.

0 Kudos