Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Maximus

Here are BIOS settings for the PCIe lanes:
pastedImage_1.png
Note M.2_1 Link Mode runs at Gen 3 fine with ADT-Link to the RX Vega 64 Liquid.
M.2_2 Link mode will only run at PCIe GEN 2 with the ADT-LINK to any other GPU.

I hope that information helps you out.
Good luck with your AMD-CPU + Multi Nvidia GPU set up.
I intend to move to all Nvidia GPU setup from now on for new builds because of AMD GPU drivers situation.
I wait to see what Ampere cards bring later this year.

Let me know if you need any more info, and I will try to respond later this week.

Adept III
Adept III

This could test if G-Sync and FreeSync are really the same things

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes.
I can run GSync or "GSync Compatible" = FreeSync  Monitors from the Nvidia Palit RTX 2080OC Primary GPU.
I can run FreeSync Monitors from the RX Vega 64 Liquid or the PowerColor RX Vega 64 or an R9 Nano or Fury or Fury X depending what I have fitted to the PC.
As far as I can tell "GSync Compatible"  behaviour is the same as AMD FreeSync on + Global FRTC set to 1 FPS below the top end of the FreeSync Range.
Pity AMD have removed Global FRTC in Adrenalin 2020 then... you need it to prevent screen tear on monitors where top end of the FreeSync Range is < screen refresh rate for example.
Nvidia "GSync Compatible"  works great for me on the FreeSync Monitors I have tried.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Usually I see no problems with having Nvidia and AMD GPU on one machine with Windows 10.
However, I was running BFV 4K Ultra DX12 using RX Vega 64 Liquid and Radeon Chill last night using Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1. 
I can get about 30 minutes of game play on RX Vega 64 Liquid using driver textures set to performance. Global FRTC=59, Local FRTC off, FreeSync on. Profile Chill_Min = 30 (to save max power possible) Chill_Max = 300 (to allow max possible keyboard only input FPS = 55 (with key held down). Rapid mouse movement is locked to Chill_Min. Rapid key tapping (for example W key, gives ~ 59-60 FPS).

I have to use Radeon Performance overlay to monitor GPU Temps and be careful to keep reported GPU edge temp < 48'C or stop moving and look at ground to drop GPU power to ~ 110-150W so the GPU cools down. Warning is if I start to see blue square screen corruption shown at top of this thread.
Currently it will not display FPS or CPU utilization...

The Adrenalin Drivers consistently crash if the reported edge temp on the RX Vega 64 Liquid goes > ~ 48'C.
This crashes the drivers, the game, and frequently causes black screen + audio Buzz + BSOD message + PC Reboot.
I mention this because it happened last night. I was about to look at modifying registry entries for Chill to see if I could improve the FPS with keyboard only input from 55 to ~ 59-60.

Normally I get tired of the RX Vega 64 Liquid Crashing on BFV at 4K Ultra and I can usually just swap the Primary display over to the Nvidia RTX2080 OC and run at 4K Ultra no problem w/o crashing.  

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

However last night when I swapped over to the Nvidia RTX 2080 OC after the RX Vega 64 Liquid + Adrenalin 2020 crashed the PC to play BFV at 4K Ultra it actually crashed with the message
"Thread Stuck in Device Driver"
So am I actually reporting that there is a problem with Nvidia Drivers on this forum?
I thought I was but BlueScreenView tells me something else: atikmdag.sys
For some reason the AMD 2019 19.12.1 drivers are causing a crash when I try to use the Nvidia GPU to play BFV.

0 Kudos

glad to see this! i built my machine a month and a half ago, with ryzen 7 3800x and 16gb of ram clocked at 4000mhz (XMP) and the powercolor rx 5700 non XT, youre machine looks awesome too!

Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks - as you can see I a fan of "Unicorn Barf" RGB.
I think holding off for Ryzen 3000 series is a good idea. I think the memory controller is much better than on the 2700X..
I did a budget build - Libertas with Ryzen 3600.
Your PC Build is obviously newer and more powerful than any I have on this forum.
I think I beat you on TB of GPU compute though.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

I found a solution to prevent the idle AMD RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU from crashing the system when I am using the primary Nvidia RTX2080 OC to run BFV or just browse the web and the the display out from the secondary RX Vega 64 Liquid is disabled in Windows 10.

I go into task manager and kill all Radeon Settings releated processes.
There are a few AMD processes that run.

Radeon Settings : Host Applications.
Radeon Settings: Host Service.
Also any "AMD Events" related processes.

I kill them all in Task Manager.

If I do that then the secondary RX Vega 64 Liquid sits quietly with a green light on.

If I do not kill all of those processes then the RX Vega 64 Liquid sits with the green light on for a while, then randomly fires up. The GPU tach lights up. The Red Radeon Logo flashes on and off. The PC crashes.

I have no idea why this is happening when Radeon Settings is running and the display connected to the RX Vega 64 Liquid is disabled in Windows 10.

Killing those Radeon Settings related tasks means I can play BFV for hours with no crashing at 4K Ultra (60FPS no problem) , 4K Ultra with RTX on (30-40 FPS), 4K Ultra with RTX on and DLSS on (40-50 FPS).

I should file an AMD Report about it.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

AMD Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 Driver crashed when I was running BFV on RX Vega 64 Liquid. PC Freeze. Black Screen. BSOD. Reboot.

On restart I ran system checks on the PC and sfc /scannow now reports corrupted windows install with  components reported in CBS.log.
I tried DISM repair options including downloading Windows ISO and using it as DISM /source for repair.
I tried running Windows Updates but they will not complete and roll back.

No repair options left but to reset the PC and spend days reinstalling programs and applications.

This is the main problem with AMD GPU drivers crashing.

I spend more time repairing the PC than using it.

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Ouch! I wonder if I should avoid building my own computer.

0 Kudos