cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

Highlighted

Re: Home lab, aka the 32 headed beast

Sounds like a fun project.  Best of luck with it. Keep the info coming in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

And one more thing.. if you can disable HEPT in the bios.. that seems to have an effect on smoothness...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

decided to relocate the fans on my rad today..

Took both fans from the inside of the rad, and have them on the outside (under the grill in the front cover.. they just BARELY fit, they'd be in contact if I still had that part of the liner still in place...) pushing room air through the rad vs. pushing hot air through from inside the case out (got to thinking about it.. the whole case was bass ackwards for fans.. was basically running a neg pressure system.. I still am, but much less so (2x 120 in with obstruction, 2x out without .. but the exhausts probably have lower air movement)

Anyways.. after looking at idle temps being down in the 23 C (7 degree temp drop), I decided to see if it would survive a prime95 small fft test.  1 hour, max temp reported by hware monitor was 66 degrees (throttle temp is at 68 on the tdie right?) and actually ended the test at 64 C.  I'm tempted to take the 120's I have as exhaust and mount them to the inside of the rad as a pull system...

Or I may get some more of the enermax fans.. they seem to really do a number.  They're loud (air whir.. I keep all fans at max, none of this variable speed stuff here lol).

Spec for this was ram at 3333.. as it started throwing errors under memorytest64 at 3466 (the test app crashed with 0 errors at 3333, so I'll run that).  The proc was at 4ghz, 1.275 v.. so I was able to back off .025 volts.. and it appears to be stable (I mean, if prime cant make it puke after an hour.. its fairly stable). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Took her up to 4.1 GHz tonight and ran prime 95 on blend . Max temp was 62, and average was closer to 55.  Twas a short run of an hour.  Ram still at 3333.  1.3 volts.  Cinnebench was a 344x.. I don't remember the last, but it seems to scale linerally with core speed.  From what I'm seeing, roughly 50 pts per 100 MHz.  Possibly see more advantage with faster ram. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

I'm surprised it didnt run well with that proc.. hell, my system isn't anything really different, just two of your procs and the infinity messh between them..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

4.2 today, prime95 stable for blend torture test, no throttle.

1.35 voltage.. it would lock up at 1.325...

Not willing to try for 4.3... I could probably get it to boot and venchmark at 1.4v.. but I'm not will gto try itat that voltage. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

I managed to run 3-4 vms running windows/linux with my old FX 9590 and 32GB Ram on vmware workstation pro without problem.

I decided to go with 2 Ryzen PCs instead of 1 TR. both have 64GB Ram, one R7 1700 (Linux) the other R7 1700X running windows and linux.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Will try in the future, but for the moment I need to run virtualbox and vmware vms, so no Hyper-V for the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Man, you have expensive tastes.. probably have as much in your two systems as I have in mine... Maybe more.  I had considered going that route, but the clustered win 2k12 data center would have completely blown the budget lol.  Hell, this pushed the limits of my budget.. I reused some hdd's, PSU, video card.  I do want to go to 64 or 128 GB ram and Putin some ssd's, maybe a Nas with an iscsi lunch on it.

But we're talking another grand or two for that...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Shes now booting off a 250gb samsung 850

0 Kudos