Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig Showcase Discussions

d2beetle
Adept III
Adept III

Hand Me Down Parts

Description

Left over parts from my oldest sons upgrade last year.

Hand Me Down Parts.JPG

Specifications

CPUAMD FX-8370
CoolerStock Cooler
MotherboardGigabyte GA-990X-Gaming SLI
Memory16GB AData AX3U2400W8G11-DMV
GraphicsXFX RX-580 8GB RX-580P8DBDR
Disc Drive
WD Black 1 TB
PSUCorsair TX850
CaseNZXT H510
MonitorSamsung NU6900 (x3)
Tags (1)
6 Replies
d2beetle
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Hand Me Down Parts

I put this computer together because my younger brother called to let me know he purchased the latest iteration of Mechwarrior Mercenaries (MW5) and to ask if I could fix his computer because it will not play. I think his computer has a "Regor" in it; not that it could be confused with "Ryzen". The only purchased item is the NZXT Case; which I got from Amazon.

So, I game tested Doom Eternal and MW5 Mercs, both played and looked decent at 1600x900 on my 50" TV, but it took some work to get there. The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro (6.3 Build 9600) and AMD does not support video drivers for it anymore; which was a difficult step to resolve. So after some research I found and followed these video driver instructions and it worked ... Adrenalin 2020 on Windows 8.1? 

I am an old Mechwarrior fan as I still have the original 5 1/4 floppy disks of the first Mechwarrior. Played the first mission twice and bailed both times; got nit picked by the tanks and drones.

So my younger brother now knows what minimum computer specification it takes to play the current iteration of Mechwarrior Mercs 5.

So, this computer worked so well, I now use it as my work from home computer.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

You would be far better off with windows 10

0 Kudos
d2beetle
Adept III
Adept III

Yea, Win 10 would be, but I was simply using what was available and surprised that it even worked and it turned out to be a decent home office computer.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

d2beetle wrote:

Yea, Win 10 would be, but I was simply using what was available and surprised that it even worked and it turned out to be a decent home office computer.

windows 10 runs on even 10 year old machines so it is viable. best bet is 4GB or more to allow the OS to reduce the swap file use.

most ddr2 machines can get to 4GB while ddr3 machines can get to 16GB and ddr4 machines with 64gb are known

0 Kudos
d2beetle
Adept III
Adept III

I have some old ddr2 components, perhaps I will try them someday.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

desktop ddr2 can be 2GB each for up to 8GB on boards with 4 slots

i have seen 4GB sticks with 2 rows of RAM on each side, not sure if they work on any particular board however

My old Acer E700 is LGA775 and it has 8GB installed

0 Kudos