cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk 2 The Hand – August 2022 Submission For Rig of the Month

BigAl01
Miniboss
9 0 237

This project was conceptualized in February 2022 as some type of hanging mobile computer that could rotate as it hung from my basement storage room ceiling near my workbench where I have built all my Big Al Computers since the early 2000-time frame.  This is a computer mod, which generally means a custom type of case and some unique features that you won’t find from a store-bought machine.  I am entering this build a second time in the Rig of the Month contest (first submission was July 2022); I’ve spent several additional hours doing cable management in the hope that I might have a better chance this go around.

As my design ideas progressed with support from several members of the AMD forum Red Team members, I settled on a compact design that could hang behind an artwork my son Tom had created while working on his BA of Fine Arts (George Mason University) in the mid-2000’s time frame.  It was a hand depicted to be coming out of the wall (the hand was modeled after his own hand).   He had left this artwork at our family home when he moved out and started a family.  Now, with an eleven-year-old granddaughter and a nine-year-old grandson to his credit and our enjoyment, I have been able to build what I call ‘Talk 2 The Hand’ to honor his creative genius.

My final design ideas centered on hiding a computer behind the artwork but allowing for rotation of the assembly so you could see my creative side – an open frame structure of aluminum and steel filled with a AMD 5600G CPU, a Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P micro-ATX motherboard, a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB M.2 drive, a Corsair CX750F RGB PSU, two sticks (8GB x 2) of Corsair Vengeance 16GB RGB Pro 3600 MHz DDR4 RAM and related components.  It’s not a gaming machine, as that would require a discrete video card and another $800 USD investment.  Rather, it’s a workbench PC intended to be used for browsing the Internet and streaming audio to a set of Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers.  A video card could be easily added though, as the PSU is powerful enough to support one.  The support structure for the hanging assembly was designed to handle more weight too, in the interest of a sufficient margin of safety.  Swivel hooks have been incorporated (115 lb. rating) to allow for rotation of the complete assembly and they also enable quick disconnect of the artwork or the computer frame if maintenance is required.

Wireless keyboard and USB wireless network device to reduce the wired connections.  I didn't use that SSD though.Wireless keyboard and USB wireless network device to reduce the wired connections. I didn't use that SSD though.I fabricated the frame out of aluminum bars.  You can see the PSU support from this angle.I fabricated the frame out of aluminum bars. You can see the PSU support from this angle.The PSU has been slipped into it's slot.  Note the cable management.The PSU has been slipped into it's slot. Note the cable management.Those LED strips are attached magnetically to the base, which is steel.  Again, note the cable management.Those LED strips are attached magnetically to the base, which is steel. Again, note the cable management.Hanging behind the artwork and running like a champ.Hanging behind the artwork and running like a champ.The bottom monitor is the one connected to my Talk 2 The Hand build.  Lots of RGB is evident.The bottom monitor is the one connected to my Talk 2 The Hand build. Lots of RGB is evident.

An open frame structure of aluminum and steel filled with a AMD 5600G CPU, a Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P micro-ATX motherboard, a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB M.2 drive, a Corsair CX750F RGB PSU, two sticks (8GB x 2) of Corsair Vengeance 16GB RGB Pro 3600 MHz DDR4 RAM and related components. 

About the Author
I've been building and modding computers since the year 2000. My first computer was an Osborne Executive in 1983. That makes me old but I still build a machine (only AMD-based computers) once a year for fun.