Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level-Up

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
1 26 5,446

But, nothing worked.  I tried all three CPUs in this B350 motherboard and then I realized that the motherboard wasn't going to recognize these CPUs until it had a BIOS update (the Gigabyte website said these CPUs would work).  But alas, I could not do a BIOS update on this motherboard without a working CPU to start with.  I wasn't going to tear one of my old machines apart to get to an earlier Ryzen CPU, so instead I ordered a new Asus X570+ motherboard from Amazon (It arrived the same day!).  I tried the AMD 3950X CPU in the new Asus motherboard and no joy.  Apparently this CPU is dead.  So, I put in the AMD 3600X CPU and it finally booted into the BIOS.  Soon I had Windows 11 installed (remember to enable firmware ftm in the BIOS for Windows 11) and now I can proceed with the build into the case.

So now you see the importance of building up the system outside of the case.  I would have been pretty upset pulling the motherboard out of the case multiple times as I swapped the CPU.  This next week I will get the components into the old Thermaltake Level-10 GT case (which I will now call 'Level-Up' as a new gaming machine on my LAN).   

This case has 5.25 inch bays, so I can use some older Cooler Master parts and optical drives.This case has 5.25 inch bays, so I can use some older Cooler Master parts and optical drives.The original components (new monitor not shown here).The original components (new monitor not shown here).Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB was mounted and removed multiple times!Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB was mounted and removed multiple times!Initial build up.Initial build up.No joy here.  I just got the 'CPU' error LED on the motherboard.No joy here. I just got the 'CPU' error LED on the motherboard.Trying the AMD Ryzen 3600X CPU, this time with a new motherboard.Trying the AMD Ryzen 3600X CPU, this time with a new motherboard.Looking good!  The LED error lights sequenced through their checks to a green LED.Looking good! The LED error lights sequenced through their checks to a green LED.And we are into the BIOS of the new Asus X570+ motherboard.And we are into the BIOS of the new Asus X570+ motherboard.

26 Comments
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Thank you @GreatnessRD.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I just ordered a 1-TB SSD ( Team Group CX2 2.5" 1 TB SATA III 3D NAND) from Newegg for less than $48 delivered, so when that arrives in a week, I'll have more storage for games and things of this nature.

Cheap SSD?  Only for games, not the OS.Cheap SSD? Only for games, not the OS.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

My new SSD arrived today, so not bad for free shipping from Newegg.  No time to install it today though, as I have a wine dinner coming up soon.  Tonight the theme is a Spanish wine from La Rioja; but you must select one of the three zones from this AVA.  In case you're wondering, those three zones are Rioja Alta, Rioja Oriental, and Rioja Alavesa.  We have a bottle from the Alta zone, which is the most common one you'll find in the USA.

Oh, I should add that Level-Up made it's gaming debut at our 2022 Holiday Family LAN Party and it ran fine.  We mostly played World of Tanks Blitz on the machine.  I should install a few other games I like to play, like Serious Sam and things of this nature.

My son Tom (yes, the artist) playing World of Tanks Blitz on Level-Up.My son Tom (yes, the artist) playing World of Tanks Blitz on Level-Up.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I had some time this afternoon (after a 2-hour massage I might add), so I installed the new 1 TB SSD and created a 2nd Game drive for Steam games.  It seemed like the right thing to do.  Now I have 1.5 TB of SSD storage for games on this machine.

I did this on the workbench, rather than risk static discharge when working on the basement room carpet.I did this on the workbench, rather than risk static discharge when working on the basement room carpet.Up and running again.  I had to make the SSD a new simple drive for Windows to recognize it.Up and running again. I had to make the SSD a new simple drive for Windows to recognize it.

eebiii
Miniboss

I want your work bench and area. I used to use the basement to build but I always left such a mess my wife basically kicked me out of building down there. So, I mostly use my office where i setup a workbench with a DeWalt 36" x 36" heavy duty foldout. still do my cutting the garage though, no avoiding that.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I wouldn't give the workbench up for anything, but I expect that when the day comes to downsize (we really don't need a 4-bedroom house with the kids grown up), the workbench will stay put.  My dad built that thing back in my youth; it's probably between 50-60 years old.

About the Author
I've been building and modding computers since the year 2000. My first computer was an Osborne Executive in 1983. That makes me old but I still build a machine (only AMD-based computers) once a year for fun.