Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building Your Own Case - 2023 Edition

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
4 92 17.8K

I'm looking for some new case design ideas for a build in the summer to fall of 2023.  I have a few ideas of items that could be used to house computer components, such as an old Klipsch subwoofer or perhaps an old cooler from the Boy Scout days of the 1990s.  I feel confident in modding an existing device, but not so much in constructing a new case out of wood or things of this nature.  I like the 'appliance' idea, but it would help to have lots of suggestions from fellow modders.  Below is that old subwoofer I mentioned, which would just barely be big enough to house a micro-ATX motherboard and a graphics card.  Where the woofer is currently located, I would probably apply a wire mesh to help with ventilation.

Do you have some ideas for me to consider?  Keep in mind that I have several months to think about this.  If there is an idea that sounds good to me but I don't have the item on hand, then it will take time to find it - that's one reason to start thinking about this now.

It would be a tight fit, but this subwoofer might work.It would be a tight fit, but this subwoofer might work.

92 Comments
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I've started looking at motherboards and CPUs.  This case claims to accommodate the E-ATX motherboard form factor, but I'm wondering if that will fit.  It seems that many of the AM5 motherboards that I am looking at (ASRock B650E Taichi, etc.) use the E-ATX form factor.  As for the CPU, maybe the AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-core?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

While still thinking about the motherboard / CPU / RAM and such, I went ahead with ordering the CPU Cooler and two M.2 2-TB drives (one for system, one for data).

Two of these at $140 each; yes, PCIe 4.0 due to high cost of PCIe 5.0 drives.Two of these at $140 each; yes, PCIe 4.0 due to high cost of PCIe 5.0 drives.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-2tb-black-sn850x-nvme/p/N82E16820250247?Item=N82E16820250247 

I've never used an AIO with an interactive display before.I've never used an AIO with an interactive display before.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835181337?Item=N82E16835181337 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The two storage drives and the CPU cooler arrived safely.  So I ordered this today - the motherboard / CPU as a combo and the DDR RAM:

MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI AM5 AMD X670E SATA 6Gb/s ATX Motherboard

MSI motherboard with the X670E chipset.MSI motherboard with the X670E chipset.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X - 12-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5 - 170W Desktop Processor (100-100000589WOF)

Ryzen 7900X CPU (12-core)Ryzen 7900X CPU (12-core)

G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) Desktop Memory Model F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR

64 GB  of tasty DDR5 6000 RAM64 GB of tasty DDR5 6000 RAM

What's left?  The PSU and the video card.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Looking Good. Looking REAL Good.

@BigAl01 wrote:

I've never used an AIO with an interactive display before.

That one is really cool, mine is OLED so I have to watch out for burn in, more videos less static temps.

But I read somewhere that one is LCD

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I could use some suggestions for 1000W + power supplies and the dreaded video card.  I want good units with some history of reliable performance too.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I would definitely stay with Corsair or Seasonic.

johnnyenglish_0-1686325645736.png

These are awesome, RoG uses these, bumped up even further.

RoG model, THOR, even has a Watt-O-Meter

johnnyenglish_1-1686325774307.png

petosiris
Miniboss

@johnnyenglish,

These PSUs are not ATX 3.0 or next gen. ATX 12VO PSUs?

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

The Thor II should be but the first I doubt it. 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The Asus Thor is $350 and rather expensive I might add.  It is PCIe 5.0 compliant though.  No mention of ATX 3.0 or next-gen ATX 12VO.  What are those specifications?

ASUS ROG Thor 1000W Platinum II Fully Modular Power Supply (1000 Watt, 80+ Platinum, Lambda A++ Certified, ROG Heatsinks, 135mm PWM Fan, 0dB Mode, OLED Panel, Sleeved Cables, Aura Sync)

It would fit my case, as my maximum length is 200 mm and this is only 188 mm.It would fit my case, as my maximum length is 200 mm and this is only 188 mm.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Here is a decent PSU and it meets the ATX 3.0 certification (Intel ATX 3.0 Certified: Compliant with the ATX 3.0 power standard, supporting the PCIe Gen 5 platform and resisting transient power spikes.).  It's $180 on Amazon right now.

Enough power for the new computer?Enough power for the new computer?

About the Author
I've been building and modding computers since the year 2000. My first computer was an Osborne Executive in 1983. That makes me old but I still build a machine (only AMD-based computers) once a year for fun.