jdgrieme
Adept I

Re: Witcher 3 CFX Scaling

2 fury x here. Only scales well in CCC beta. 3440x1440

0 Kudos
jdgrieme
Adept I

have you tried DDU? According to msi, the numbers say catalyst beta scales the best in xfire. With two fury X I am able to achieve max settings and 60+ fps if on catalyst beta. 4k on ultra for TW3 seems impossible for the average enthusiast. However I only get both gpus working 100% while xfiring on the beta. Otherwise the led indicators and msi, show the clocks not locking at 100% and instead flucating between 50-100% utilization. Crimson is more efficent as in cutscenes dont make my fury xs run at 100%, but in game is bonkers.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

I got DDR3-2400 CL11 RAM. This is not a problem with CPU/RAM because its 4K. Its all GPU. Here is the problem. I dont care if its a problem with the game engine or AMD. The thing with CFX is that AMD has to work with developer so that their technology works in their games. Yes SLI has problems too but nothing like CFX in Witcher 3. Developers could care less about some CFX users. Its AMD that is selling the hardware.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

I am going to try everything that is possible. I would not do this for any other game. I like this game too much to give up. I will get a spare SSD and try Windows 7 and Windows 10 clean install and see if that helps. Never had success with DDU and heard if does not do a full clean in Windows 10. Even if I got 4K to scale the same way as 1440p ~ 75% it is still a very stuttery experience. I dont remember the last time I played a game that stuttered like this with CFX. Even FC4 did not stutter like this.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Been some time since I posted here. I reinstalled Windows 10 again and Installed a fresh copy of Witcher 3 and latest 16.1.1 drivers. Now the GPU usage has gone up. Problem is I am getting 40-50 fps which is really nice but as I move from place to place the fps will drop especially in places where things have not loaded yet. Now here is the problem. Just like 1440p the games stutters with CFX. If I run I get microstutter every 2-3 seconds. This happens even if fps is over 40. I have tried all the custom tools like Radeon Pro and different drivers but the stutter seems like everyone with CFX has.

0 Kudos
t77chevy
Paragon

i dont see what cpu you're using but if intel drop ht and try

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

If only it was that simple. So with CFX you get no stutter? I dont know anyone who does not get stutter with CFX in Witcher 3.

0 Kudos
t77chevy
Paragon

no sir but it might be because my monitor is freesync , unfortunately i cant test as that pc is being rebuilt tomorrow and have my loop draining 

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Just tested 1440p again and fps is higher now. Getting 65-85 fps. There is just some problem where you run and load in you area causes the GPU usage to drop. If I set fps limit to 60 fps I do not stutter 90% of the time but there is still that 10%. Not sure what CFX is causing these lag problems because single GPU does not have these problems.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Update:

Did a fresh Install of Windows 10 with the latest 16.1.1 Drivers.

CFX works fine 1440p or 1800p in the sense that there is scaling. If I do not limit fps to 60 1440p stutters. 1800p is around 50-60 range while 1440p is 60-80 range. When I stiwch to 4K for whatever reason I lose CFX scaling. Different events in the game activate CFX back ON and OFF. When its OFF I get 25-30 fps with GPU usage ~ 55% on both cards. Game is unplayable and stuttery. When its ON GPU usage is 70-85% and I get 40-50 fps. Even still its supper stutter. When you run it feels like you skip 2-3 frames on the screen. I could fix this  by limiting fps to 30 like I did for 1440p but then even Single GPU can get this level off performance without having to worry about CFX coming ON and OFF.

Not sure what to do anymore. Most of my friends with CFX have given up on this game.

AMD has done nothing to help me in any way. This kind of support sucks. So much for CFX. Would have been "OK" if its a couple of games here and there but its so many games that have problems. This is just one I want to play badly. The lesson here is don't bother with CFX. Not because its "Bad" technology but AMD just does not have what it takes to back it up.

This year will be time I get new GPU. For sure it will be a Single GPU setup. I see really no reason to staying with same brand if playing field is the same. I have recommended AMD for year and year but really its time to get real.

0 Kudos