Been holding off finishing the game because how bad CFX scales for me. I heard SLI scales well in this game. I got Witcher 3 since launch and tested it with every driver since then. Up to a certain patch there was flickering but that was fixed. After game patch 1.07 CFX scaling was nonexistent. I could tolerate 45-55 fps @ 1440p but now that I moved to 4K it's really bad. GPU usage does not go over 55% for both cards and CPU is under 20%. What is odd is how the fps jumps. Never seen this behavior with other games. Just looking at something without moving I get 25 fps, 35 fps and 45 fps. Not sure if its a driver problem or game problem. The fact that SLI works lead me to bealive its a driver problem but then since game patch started this problem it could be the game. Either way this is my favorite game of all time and I think AMD should fix it before the next Expansion.
Edit: My friend over that Overclock.net explains the problem. It basically happened after patch 1.07 was released.
I would recommend checking that the patch has not altered the ini file to re-enable temporal AA, as this has happened to me. I would also make sure it has not switched the game to borderless windowed mode, as this has also happened to me after a game patch.
Have you tried Catalyst/Crimson drivers? Does that have any effect on the scaling?
I have AA off ingame and always turn it off at ini file. Game always in fullscreen else the second card would not even activate. I have basically tried all drivers since the game launched. I took a break for the game during school hoping there would be a fix and game runs poorly still. Currently running latest drivers and that did not help.
I notice you said the game broke after a patch. The ini settings and borderless window mode sometimes go back to their defaults after an update, so i would check to make sure they have not defaulted. Please also make sure the in game setting of AA is disabled.
I will install the Witcher 3 to test on my system.
Thanks for the help. The game patch was long time ago. I have installed the game recently to test it on a fresh Windows 10 install. Both .ini and in-game AA have been set to false and turned off.
So i checked everything again.
On the Graphics i have everything set to Ultra. VSync is OFF, FPS is set yo Unlimited, All Hair Works settings are set to off, FullScreen.
On the PostProcessing i have Motion Blur, Blur, Boom, Anti-Aliasing Off. Everything else is set to MAX.
I opened .ini files again and made sure EnableTemporalAA=false.
Now with CFX ON i am getting 22-35 fps. That is fine and all since I am running 4K but GPU usage ~ 57% from both cards. That is not the only problem. The game stutters like a mad dog. This is the stutter what stops the game for 0.2s at a time. Its basically unplayable.
I turned off CFX and opened the game and was getting ~ 30 fps and 100% GPU usage. Tried moving and it was way better. The game was slow because only 30 fps but there was not stutter at all. Clearly CFX is broken in this game. Most people dont seem to case since one card can play fine @ 1440p and under if you dont monitor fps and most people dont have 4K.
I check other data like CPU usage which was very low ~ 15-20%
RAM was well under 8GB eventhough i have 16GB.
vRAM was under 3GB.
Edit: Tried 16.1 Hotfix and made no difference.
Download the CCC beta prior to crimson. It works awesome with W3. I have tried to update to crimson software of each version multiple times, and have issues each time. Now while the hotfix fixed witcher cfx for me, it made it so freesynce wont work. I am driving a high resolution so I like my technologies to be working.
OP try CCC beta. You are welcome. just trust me. I am playing W3 now. When two fury x cannot drive ultra 3440x1440 in any crimson version ime, it's not our hardware.
currently using crimson 15.12 , havent tested 16.1 as my fo4 hud is fine , with hairworks on ultra " i did override tessellation to x 8 " i hold a solid 50 fps in game play ultra details at 4k with just one 295x2 , when i fire up both a solid 60 fps with vsync , here is my crimson settings