cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

gnukleus
Adept I

Why is x570 Chipset slower than B450?

Hi, I'm not happy to know my X570 Taichi is slower MoBo than a cheap B450 chipset. 

1. I spend 400 USD for a motherboard with is slower than ASUS B450 TUF for 80 USD. 

Some examples :

X570 VS B450 for MID RANGE GAMING - YouTube 

2. I already wrote two emails to ASROCK aupport with questions to my MAX BOOST CLOCK and incompatible memory with the latest BIOS 2.50  AGESA 1004 B (in bios 1.70 and 2.10 worked well) but without any response. Peaplo have to overvoltage memory for same results like from 1,4v to 1.5v

I opened a new topic on REDDIT

Why is x570 Chipset slower than B450? : Gnukleus 

0 Likes
2 Replies

It might be "incompatible memory"or it might be the case that you have not yet found the correct BIOS settings that allow your memory to operate with your latest motherboard BIOS.

The situation getting supposed compatible Corsair RAM (according to Corsair Web Site and Support) to work properly at advertised speeds with Ryzen 2700X with ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI Motherboard was ridiculously difficult.

By work properly I mean running and passing MemTest86 pre-boot and Karhu RAM Test in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

The ASUS Motherboard Compatible RAM list is just a list of initial RAM Kits that were tested by ASUS engineers with initial BIOS at release, with perhaps a few additional kits added with updated revisions of the RAM Compatibility Document.

I now have situation where I can run a 4*16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz kit (64GB) at 3200MHz on Ryzen 2700x running at 4.3 to 4.45 GHz and pass all RAM tests.

or

I can run 2*16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz kit (32GB) at 3333MHz on Ryzen 2700x running at 4.3 to 4.45 GHz and pass all RAM tests.

However getting there took months of BIOS updates, feedback to ASUS and Corsair Support initially and constant tweaking of BIOS parameters.

I used the Ryzen Ram Calculator as a starting point to set parameters in BIOS:
Download DRAM Calculator for Ryzen | TechPowerUp 
Related article is here: AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide | TechPowerUp 

Although it is a useful guide it definitely did not tell me the correct working values for ProcODT, or other parameters for my RAM and Motherboard.
Even SAFE settings from the Ryzen Ram Calculator for 3200MHz would not allow boot up or pass RAM Tests.
So many weeks of experimentation and trial and error were needed to get the system up and running at its full overclocking potential with the Corsair RAM Kit I purchased. 

I do not think your situation is unusual unfortunately and I do not think going to other motherboard manufacturer like ASUS will necessarily be any better.

The only thing you should rely on working is stock Ryzen CPU & DRAM speed.

I was stuck with mostly running my expensive Corsair 3200MHz RAM at 2333MHz for months for any serious work as it was the only RAM Speed that would satisfactorily pass RAM Tests in Windows 10 Pro until a very recent ASUS BIOS update (2901) for that motherboard. I just spent an entire week running tweaking BIOS settings so I can use the memory at the above speeds.

As far as I understand it the X570 motherboards have PCIe 4.0 which is pretty much useless for most people at the moment, but that is one reason for the price hike.

0 Likes

Here is a discussion of PCIe 4.0: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/does-pcie-4-matter/ 
AMD have dropped DX11 Crossfire for any GPU later than RX Vega 64 (2 cards supported) and you have to use Drivers from end 2016 to use 4 R9 Fury X properly in multiGPU. Radeon VII and RX5700XT cannot saturate PCIe3.0x8 bandwidth, never mind PCIe3.0x16. As far as I can see AMD have no GPUs to take advantage of PCIex4.0. speeds. Maybe very high performance PCIe4.0 storage is an application where some people can take advantage of it. I do not think gamers need it.

0 Likes