cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

Adept III
Adept III

Why is AMD engaged in deceptive practices with the phony MSRP on 6800 series reference cards

The 6800 series reference cards have NOT been produced in quantity by AMD . They are universally unavailable. Not a demand issue but a conscious policy of AMD to force consumers to pay $800  to AIB partners for cards that should sell for only $650 to $750. They are playing the same illegal game as Nvidia. If you feel that I am correct contact me at imwechs@verizon.net so that we launch a class action law suit in federal courts.

27 Replies
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Why is AMD engaged in deceptive practices with the phony MSRP on 6800 series reference cards

So reviewers would not tear them apart? Because their GPUs are trash, with real MSRP of $750+, in comparison to 3080... No DLSS, generation behind in RT, no other RT features like voice etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is AMD engaged in deceptive practices with the phony MSRP on 6800 series reference cards

I spent a lot of time rambling alone about in this forum, you can check my thread named, AMD Marketing VS Reality.

Also don't forget the $150 Walmart Bike rebranded and sold for the double of the price, $350 shipped from the AMD fan shop.

This was for me a huge red signal, along with AMD selling horribly binned cpu not reaching specs clocks at each major Ryzen launch.

AMD decided once again to sacrifice its brand, prestige, technological advances for the sake of its market shares.

Adept III
Adept III

I am not concerned with DLSS and ray tracing since the vast majority of games still do not support them in any meaningful way. That is not the issue I raised . Nvidia did the same anti-consumer behavior. This expl

@Anonymous wrote:

I spent a lot of time here rambling alone about in this form, you can check my thread named, AMD Marketing VS Reality.

Also don't forget the $150 Walmart Bike rebranded and sold for the double of the price, $350 shipped from the AMD fan shop.

This was for me a huge red signal, along with AMD selling horribly binned cpu not reaching specs clocks at each major Ryzen launch.

AMD decided once again to sacrifice its brand and prestige.

oitation of people wo are struggling to survive in the pandemic world has to stop. 

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Surprisingly (sic) AMD is keeping quiet about the whole debacle of this paper launch, both on the CPU and GPU aspect.  It did not take an augur to envision a high demand for these parts.  Playing the "surprise" demand card is an insult to our intelligence.

Adept III
Adept III

@Packit wrote:

Surprisingly (sic) AMD is keeping quiet about the whole debacle of this paper launch, both on the CPU and GPU aspect.  It did not take an augur to envision a high demand for these parts.  Playing the "surprise" demand card is an insult to our intelligence.

What is also bad is that they did not get access to enough 7nm wafers from TSMC . Now they are stopping production of all reference cards sometime in January when they never attempted to provide a serious number of reference cards. The AIB partners are taking advantage of this malfeasance and incompetence by jacking up prices to $799 for almost all their offerings. They should have been from just over $650 to $750 for all but the most exotic cards. This was AMD's collusion with its partners to practice bait and switch tactics that were anti-competitive in nature. 

Adept II
Adept II

You attack AIBs but a lot points to AMD selling GPU kits for really high price to them. Powercolor's MSRP for red devil is $800 with 10% profit margin (lowest in years), Sapphire Nitro+ is $760, MSRP, also with 10% profit. It means AMD is selling kits for high price to AIBs.

Adept II
Adept II

"The 6800 series reference cards have NOT been produced in quantity by AMD . They are universally unavailable. Not a demand issue but a conscious policy of AMD to force consumers to pay $800  to AIB partners for cards that should sell for only $650 to $750. They are playing the same illegal game as Nvidia. If you feel that I am correct contact me at imwechs@verizon.net so that we launch a class action law suit in federal courts."

I'm sorry but the amount of cognitive dissonance in this post is mind boggling.

The situation isn't great, but you're living in a complete fantasy world.

1) There is nothing illegal.

2) What class-action lawsuit?  Good god ... 

3) What you're suggesting is illegal - price fixing.

4) AMD and AIBs do not set the retail price of either reference or AIB model cards.  Again, if they did, that would be price fixing.  Retailers set the price.  

5) If AMD didn't provide chips to the AIBs, and just distributed cards themselves for the SRP, the AIBs would abandon them, and it'd be catastrophic.

6) It's largely up to AIBs what they decide to do with their chip allocation.  Whether to order a load of ref PCBs and coolers with them, or not very many at all and do everything non-ref.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmc251 wrote:

"The 6800 series reference cards have NOT been produced in quantity by AMD . They are universally unavailable. Not a demand issue but a conscious policy of AMD to force consumers to pay $800  to AIB partners for cards that should sell for only $650 to $750. They are playing the same illegal game as Nvidia. If you feel that I am correct contact me at imwechs@verizon.net so that we launch a class action law suit in federal courts."

I'm sorry but the amount of cognitive dissonance in this post is mind boggling.

The situation isn't great, but you're living in a complete fantasy world.

1) There is nothing illegal.

2) What class-action lawsuit?  Good god ... 

3) What you're suggesting is illegal - price fixing.

4) AMD and AIBs do not set the retail price of either reference or AIB model cards.  Again, if they did, that would be price fixing.  Retailers set the price.  

5) If AMD didn't provide chips to the AIBs, and just distributed cards themselves for the SRP, the AIBs would abandon them, and it'd be catastrophic.

6) It's largely up to AIBs what they decide to do with their chip allocation.  Whether to order a load of ref PCBs and coolers with them, or not very many at all and do everything non-ref.

Reddit is your place, uneducated potato. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

You really have no idea how thick you or the OP are, do you?

His post, and your response are the absolute epitome of bottom feeding redditors.

You hear some words, they get jumbled around in the tiny gelid mass between your ears, and confusion and verbal diarrhoea come out of your mouths.

The 6 points I wrote are categorically true.  I'd love to see someone link to precedent where an OEM, in any industry, has successfully been prosecuted for *failing* to engage in illegal price fixing ...