cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nothappy
Journeyman III

Why buy amd?

This is my first pc build in about 20 years. Used to be a fan of amd, so I planned an amd based build. I got a ryzen 3900x, running it on an x570 motherboard, nvme m.2 ssd, 4000 mhz ram, the works. The idea was to run qhd at 120 hz. Well, built all that months ago, complete with 34 inch freesync based monitor, and the only amd graphics cards I can find are 4 gig 128 bit pieces of crap. Even third gen cards going for double msrp. Have discord and several different stock drop notification systems to let me know when cards are in stock. Then Amd.com tells me available then has "technical errors" as bots buy the last remaining stock for scalpers in fractions of a second. AMD obviously doesn't care enough to limit where they send stock or require 2 part verification for purchase. Now having stock notification systems for graphics cards I have had several opportunities to pick up a 3080,  and I find myself wishing I could un-buy all this practically worthless AMD junk. I could run this rx550 on a quadcore with a 50$ mobo and saved myself well over a grand.

Now that my pc is built my brother wants me to help him build his pc.

So my question for amd is this. How could I recommend amd knowing he won't be able to use the system for months? Can you give me any reason at all not to tell him to go pick up a nvidia graphics card and build his system from there?

0 Likes
10 Replies

RE:  I got a ryzen 3900x, running it on an x570 motherboard, nvme m.2 ssd, 4000 mhz ram, the works.

Those components should perform fine. 
The Ryzen 3000 series CPUs I run are good value and quality. Stable. Good memory controller. No problems. 
I would be happy to have another PC with the specification for your build. 

I am sure many others would be happy with Ryzen 3900x CPU and X570 motherboard also. 

I am wary of purchasing RX5000 series desktop though. Too many reports of problems. 
Do not know what the cause is.

AMD GPUs, even the top end RX6900XT are still behind Nvidia top end RTX3080/3090 GPU in many technical areas.

If you are just interested in rasterisation performance in gaming at 1080p / 2K then fine. 
They should be OK for 4K 60FPS as well. 

If you want best driver support,  high performance Ray Tracing, DLSS, GPU Compute that works and is actually properly supported (CUDA, OpenCL). Best Blender Performance, Optix.  GeForce Experience features like built in ReShade filters (and yes even Radeon Image Sharpening filter) then go for an Nvidia GPU if you can get one and are prepared to pay the cost. 

It all depends on pricing though but right now I think AMD GPUs are just hanging in there on gaming with rasterization only performance.

Personally I am not interested in Nvidia 3000 series GPUs as I think Nvidia made a big mistake using Samsung 8nm process. 
I wait until the jump to better performing process equivalent to TSMC 7nm. 

My latest AMD GPU that I have is an RX5700XT and it is no better than my previous RX Vega 64 Liquid for gaming at 4K but worse in compute and not properly supported.
Previous to that I have bought a pair of RX590 which were a waste of money so far because of poor OpenCL / Blender support. 

One good point is AMD Adrenalin Drivers on Windows have improved significantly on all of my AMD Vega GPUs and on the RX5700XT since the RX5700XT drivers were worked on for 8 months from launch to get them stable. 

The last Nvidia GPUs I own are both Palit RTX 2080 OCs and I am very happy with them. 
I run them as my main GPUs on PC for gaming compute etc.
They outperform all of my current AMD GPUs. 

If you cannot get the latest Nvidia 3000 series GPUs then maybe go for a second hand RTX 2080.
I have seen some for sale at ~ reasonable cost. 

I would be very wary of buying a second hand RX5700XT or AIB RX Vega GPU because many AIB cards had construction problems.

The AMD Reference RX Vega 64 Liquids I have purchased have been good cards. 

The GPU market terrible at the moment though. 
I do not think the new GPUs from AMD or Nvidia are worth the prices.
So maybe second hand Nvidia or AMD for now and wait for next gen Nvidia and AMD launch.

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

I can give you a two-word answer: 

Legacy Support

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
mc_line
Adept I

Do not buy AMD. I made the mistake of buying an RX 6800 (when I had the chance to grab a NVIDIA) after 20 years of loyalty NVIDIA and now most of my retro open GL games run at mediocre unplayable frame rates.

AMD unwillingness to address proper open GL is plain narcissism. I will dump my RX 6800 the first opportunity I have to grab a RTX 3080 at a retail price.

0 Likes

You could always buy or install an older, lower end, cheaper, Nvidia GPU in second PCIe slot on your motherboard just to run those legacy OpenGL games.

0 Likes

#1 I dont have another PIC slot free

#2 To run on 4K ultra settings recent open gl titles such as 2013 wolfstein, I need  a relatively modern GPU. With scarcity of GPUs, it will be costly

Ultimately, why do I have to buy an other GPU, proper open GL support is a common sense to demand form a modern highly priced GPU. This is like me doing the work AMD should be doing

0 Likes

2013 Wolfenstein - do you mean Wolfenstein the New Order? 
I own that title on Steam. 
I seem to remember it ran pretty well for me.

I just tried it out at 4K Ultra on Ryzen 2700X @fixed 3.7GHz, 2133 MHz and RX5700XT at stock.
I am seeing ~ 45-60 FPS with FreeSync on.  
I see similar performance running an RX Vega 64 Liquid at stock instead of the RX5700XT.

0 Likes

If you did mean Wolfenstein the New Order here is an AMD versus Nvidia performance data point for you. 
I replaced the RX5700XT with an Nvidia Palit RTX 2080 GamingPro OC GPU. 
I just tried it out at 4K Ultra on Ryzen 2700X @fixed 3.7GHz, 2133 MHz and the Nvidia card at RTX 2080 at stock settings.

I am seeing pretty much identical performance ~ 45-60 FPS with FreeSync on using the latest Nvidia Drivers. to the RX5700XT.  
In this case,AMD GPU is performaing as well as a comparable Nvidia GPU on that game. 

I am fairly sure my previous GTX 1080 was rendering much higher fps better than my new RX 6800. Let me double check that it isnt related to something else (I literarily replaced the gpu on the same system and the fps dropped). I have a i9 10900K.

New non opegl titles run great on my RX 6800 FYI.

Have you then tried an old console emulator then such as Dolphin on open gl setting (not vulcan)? The performance on of my new amd gpu far lags the performance of my old Nvidia gpu as well

RE: I am fairly sure my previous GTX 1080 was rendering much higher fps better than my new RX 6800.
It might just be a problem with those new RDNA2 GPUs on that old Wolfenstein the New Order OpenGL title from 2013. 

RE:  Let me double check that it isnt related to something else (I literarily replaced the gpu on the same system and the fps dropped).

Sure. 

I am running on Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 WHQL driver on the RX5700XT and the RX Vega 64 Liquid. 

The Nvidia Palit RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC is using the following software: 
GeForce Experience 3.21
Drivers installed Gaming Drivers version 461.92.

I clean installed the drivers following DDU clean to make sure everything was fine for the Nvidia and AMD card driver software before testing. 

Maybe rerun game file verification or reinstall the game? 
Note I ran at 4k Ultra to test the GPU OpenGL performance. 
I have not looked at 1080p performance at all.

RE: New non opegl titles run great on my RX 6800 FYI.
That is good news. 

I was just testing and comparing Watch Dogs: Legions during the free weekend on RX5700XT, RX Vega64 Liquid and the RTX2080 OC on the same system. 
The RTX2080OC performance pretty much identical to the RX5700XT at 1080p very high settings, motion blur off.  RayTracing off.

The RX5700XT does not support RayTracing though.
Your RX6800XT might run great on that title and it might be interesting to see if it can handle running RayTracing. 

RE: Have you then tried an old console emulator then such as Dolphin on open gl setting (not vulcan)? The performance on of my new amd gpu far lags the performance of my old Nvidia gpu as well

No. I have not run a console emulator for a while.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

i really don't understand what you are talking about, is it me or this is absolute non sense ? what is the link between all this sentences?

0 Likes