cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: Vega: New fuel for cryptominers?

I think they are Gaming GPU's you know...

The Miner in the video is trying a bit of Political Spin I think ...

Perhaps he is worried just in case Gamers watch the video, go nuts, and try to pay him a visit with a real world version of a Super Nailgun from Quake Champions?
(OK I am hooked, I was participating in the Closed Beta for fun ...). 

Mind you, maybe AMD Ruby will visit him just to warn him off ... I can think of worse things .

These look like RX 480/580 Reference Cards from AMD. If you go to  to 9:20 in the video he starts his "These cards aren't for gaming" talk.
What he is trying to say is they are not AIB Partner cards with special triple fan coolers etc.
In fact he makes it even worse by suggesting if you can't get the gaming version of the RX480/580, you should go and buy a gaming card from Nvidia!
Jeez I hadn't noticed that one myself until I was replying to you!

If you go to 11:25 in the video you can clearly see all of the 3 display port outputs  and 1 HDMI output are on the cards.
If they were special mining only cards they would likely have 1 or maybe even no outputs at all, based on what I have seen from Sapphire.

Off to calm down now.

Thanks!

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Yeah, I meant to put it in "quotes" - he tried to point it out, but failed. I've come across a lot of these in Turkey and that region the last couple of years - it seems they simply buy out a relatives computer store and resell them later for the same cost.

colesdav
MVP

I just had a look at Ethereum Project

Anyone ever noticed their logo? I think it is a nice graphic design.
Go have a look at the website and you can download all of the software you need to start mining.
I was thinking of trying it out just out of technical interest to see how difficult it is to get started mining and benchmark my cards.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Here is a quick picture of "AMD Ruby" in Quake Champions from what I can tell.
It is actually an AMD Promotional Item on a character called NYX.
I was able to play all of the Quake Characters during the Quake Beta Testing, and I was hoping that Bethesda might thank
Beta Testers for our time providing feedback data with a few free unlocks.
There were indeed a few free items when I logged in this morning to look, but unfortunately Ruby is not unlocked .

Cheers.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Here is more detail of AMD Ruby on Video in Quake Champions for anyone who is interested.
I have not purchased the upgradeso no gameplay yet,  but you will likey see someone playing as AMD Ruby on Plays.TV or Youtube pretty soon.
colesdav - AMD Ruby in Quake Champions - Plays.tv

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

So far you can only get Ruby by purchasing one of the RX 5x0 cards - I saw a NewEgg listing on one of the RX Vega cards as well, but that was removed after a couple of hours.

Purchasing the upgrade sadly doesn't give Ruby. Maybe AMD will run other promos later - maybe during a new Lan/community event?

throau
Adept I

thing is you sell hashing power and get paid in bitcoin.

10-15 dollars worth of bitcoin today, if you hold it will be worth FAR more in the future.  Just look at the bitcoin price over the past 12 months.

So the payoff is not big today.  But that comes later.

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Oh trust me I know. I've mined back when BTC wasn't worth mere pennies. I've sat on it for years since then and just reverted to trading - to me it's a lot more profitable, less hassle, and easy to automate.

colesdav
MVP

Now then, whiskey-foxtrot We'll have less of this sort of thing. Mining?  Careful now.

Miner!.jpg

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Not too sure about those beards, especially the beard on the female on the left I say, let him who hasn't benefited from mining in any way cast the first stone! On a serious note, I didn't think much of it back then. It was just another fun thing to do with spare servers. It was either that, Seti@Home, or similar project. Then came Butterfly Labs which started out great; 10'ish "Jalapeno" ASICs and later their bigger models which were just purchased with already gobbled up BTC and the rest is history.

I know it's a touchy subject, but a lot of folks are salty they didn't get in sooner; I don't think they would be complaining too much if they were on the other side. On the other hand, it's frustrating that mining has once again moved over to the best damn GPU's in my opinion. I can't blame the miners; I'd point at manufacturers not being able to keep up or for their failure to get creative like they have with "mining GPUs" sooner.