cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Vega: New fuel for cryptominers?

I was referring to the number of Vega 64 models available on eBay.  It seems unlikely that small time miners would purchase the cards on Monday and then decide mining is no longer profitable and sell them on eBay a day later.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Gosh darn it, dag nab it! The AMD Drivers Team is helping those pesky Miners already... enjoy:
AMD's New Mining Block Chain Optimized Driver Tested - Legit ReviewsAMD Helps Ethereum Miners Keep H...

0 Kudos

Is a possibility that people bought them on speculation and are flipping them for a profit, an auction equivalent to a stock market day trader.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

That seems like a reasonable explanation.  Although if true, then it shouldn't repeat with the Vega 56 launch on the 28th.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Its called price gouging. This is very normal and it happens with every GPU release.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Looks like the new AMD Blockchain Driver has pushed the HashRate up to 41 MH/s ...

41 MH/s Hashrate: RX Vega 64 Mining Review Update - YouTube

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Here is the first  article I have found about the High Bandwidth Cache Controller testing in detail.
https://techgage.com/article/a-look-at-amd-radeon-vega-hbcc/

Could HBCC be used by miners in some way to push up the MH/s ?
It does not seem to be of much benefit to Gaming at the moment.

colesdav
MVP

Very good point. I could actually purchase a Vega FE(Air) today (they are in actually in stock!) for the same price as an RX Vega 64(Air),
or

I could purchase a Vega FE with pre-fitted a waterblock (also in stock) for the same price as an RX Vega Liquid Edition Card (Pre-Order only).

I was very tempted to purchase a Vega FE now at those prices, but ... I am currently having the following thoughts/ doubts.

(1). I have no Idea if it's Gaming Performance on the Vega FE has improved at all.

(2). What is the point of purchasing a Vega FE for Gaming Development if the RX Vega fails?
(3). Hopefully RX Vega prices will lower if more are shipped anyhow, but I think there are lots of AMD Users who will finally throw in the towel and buy a GTX1080/1080Ti. 

The Vega FE(Air) Prices seem to be dropping, yet the RX Vega prices hare way too high versus GTX1070/1080/1080Ti. 
Even the RX Vega on Pre-Order prices are way too high based on Price/Performance/Power comparison at the moment.

Right now I am really happy with my R9 Nanos band I really like the small form factor.

But to be honest I bought them because I needed more up to date cards for Compute before March 2017.
For the price I paid for them I could certainly have purchased a single Gaming GTX1080.
I was actually "Waiting for Vega", it was late, I still stayed AMD, but I am now starting to investigate if a GTX1080Ti will be enough for my next build.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Thought this would be good for everyones Blood Pressure ...

400 GPU Mining Farm in ACTION!!! Radeon RX 580 8GB. (Problems and Solutions) - YouTube

So That's maybe why I can't get an RX580 8GB  replacement for my HD7970 6GB  at reasonable cost...

0 Kudos
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

He's using mining specific GPUs

0 Kudos