cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: Vega: New fuel for cryptominers?

It all depends if they manage to get drivers targeted for mining only., which push up the Hashes per Watt.
Cheers.

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Does anyone know if the RX Vega cards were released with drivers which enabled all of the key new features or not?
Are some features which would / could help reduce Power Requirement simply not enabled?
Does anyone know?

I am interested specifically to know if the Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer is definitely enabled and working correctly on the RX Vega 64 cards used these launch day reviews?

I believe DSBR was not enabled for the Vega FE at launch.
Perhaps it is enabled and that is the explanation for the roughly +10% performance improvement seen in the RX Vega(Air) versus the Vega FE(Air)?

I think DSBR is supposed to improve Performance versus Power
Info of what it does is here https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_vega_gpu_architectural_analysis/3

I am generally OK with the Gaming performance of the Vega 64(Air), at least it is trading blows with the GTX 1080 now.
I have been surprised (disappointed) about the higher power consumption of the Vega 64 versus the GTX1080.
The Vega 56 seems in a reasonable Performance/Price versus the GTX1070 for sure. Power seems more reasonable on the Vega 56.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

I think this video has some very interesting questions regarding the Vega64.

RX Vega is Finally Here a Year Later... What's Up With the Performance? - YouTube

Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

I am not sure if the DSBR is the same as Nvidia Tile Based Rasterization  but if it is, then this article may well be of interest:
Tile-based Rasterization in Nvidia GPUs
Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jim from AdoredTV is just back from holiday... and is now on the case  .
Here is his first look at the Vega 64 Liquid Edition: The RX Vega Liquid Edition Review - YouTube
Worth a watch.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

From what some reviewers have said it is ON but it was a last minute addition to the drivers and its on Beta state.

fzfanboy
Adept II

I just feel like the consumers are really missing out on these great cards because of mining. I don't appreciate seeing a 100% markup on Vega. I feel like it's because of the miners but at the same time miners have the funds for that while the rest of us don't.

0 Kudos
zealotki11er
Miniboss

I mean you can say miners but I do not think they are buying Vega for mining. People that had RX card and mined for the past 2-3 months got enough money to buy Vega. This is how Nvidia got a lot of sales with GTX980 and GTX970. They where a side grade from 780 Ti and 290X but miners had money so they bought the new stuff. I think something similar is happening now. I am pretty sure AMD knows this hence the prices are above "MSRP". If you push too much higher might as well get 16GB Vega FE.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

It does seem like eBay resellers may be more to blame. Lot of cards up on the bay.

0 Kudos

Mining is no longer profitable for the small time miners who only run a few cards, that's why they're flooding eBay, though I would not touch a card which has been volt modified and run the guts out of 24/7 for weeks on end.