cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

zealotki11er
Miniboss

Re: Vega: New fuel for cryptominers?

That is still very good. You pay the card in 1 month assuming free electricity. Even so 2 months ROI is extremely good for miners.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

RE: "the same way the RX 480 and RX 580 were"
Where I live, I think that should read "the same way the RX 480 and RX 580 are"

I have tried to purchase an RX 580 8GB to replace a "currently dead" HD7970 OC 6GB (I want the new card for OpenCL/ROCm).  

As soon as new stock comes available on some websites it seems to go in less than a day.
Prices are definitely inflated as well.
I can see new AMD Mining cards are on pre-order but that's not what I want anyhow.

I think some people are buying cards and immediately putting them up for sale on Ebay to try and turn a profit.

I could go on Ebay for a "second hand card" but to be honest I think that's a big risk of buying a functional but possibly "mined to death" card.
No manufacturer I know of will honor a Product Guarantee if the card is not purchased direct from an approved seller.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Performance Benchmarks Embargo lifts today at 09:00 a.m. EST so maybe some of the reviewers will have thought about Mining Performance Issue and
we might get some details on that along with Gaming Performance ?

It might be worth going on the Review Websites to ask them to look into Mining Performance if you already have an account or are already a Patreon.

Cheers.

0 Kudos

Vega is...fairly terrible at mining thanks to the insane power draw. http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-vega-56-ethereum-mining-performance_197049

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/vega-64-hashrate-power.png

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/vega-64-hashrate-per-watt.png

colesdav
MVP

Thanks for the details.

The Level1Techs  did some benchmarks and they said they were only getting between 30-40 MH/s but there were some rumors of Mining optimized driver.

The above info you posted is good news for gamers in some ways but the power draw is pretty concerning...
AMD have had plenty of time to optimize power and Polaris did seem to be a step in the right direction.

What do you think is the issue with power?
Architecture?
Not enough circuit level power optimization?
Nvidia Cards are manufactured at TSMC ... is it simply the TSMC process is better than Chartered Process used by AMD?
Is there still some more driver  /  Bios Optimization?
Looks like Gamers Nexus were able to undervolt and get reduced power but better performance on the Vega 56...

Cheers.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Probably just the architecture in general,  it just doesn't scale in a linear fashion beyond a certain threshold.  Each scrap of additional performance just takes more and more juice.  I'm sure the graph would look exponential if you charted it.  What is a little strange is if we remember this old chart posted by AMD.

Image result for amd vega performance per watt

The claim was, that Polaris would give 2.5X the performance per watt of the AMD 28nm GPUs, and that Vega would be even more efficient than that.  Obviously, since Vega 64 is running only 30% faster than the Fury X (28nm) while being clocked 50% higher and using substantially more juice that is not the case.

But some of that may be due to the fact that AMD seems to feel that they need to match the GTX 1080.  Vega 56 can match the GTX 1070 without using that much more power, indicating that Vega CAN be very efficient or at least similar to Pascal, but the scaling to GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti levels is massively inefficient.  Probably not going to be very popular with the miners currently.

0 Kudos

Vega 56 uses near 80 watts more power than the GTX 1070, it's direct competitor, almost 27% more. That's not efficient, especially not when you're talking brand new cards vs over 1 year old cards.

Load Power Consumption - Battlefield 1

Battlefield 1 - 2560x1440 - Ultra Quality

And is much louder, though reference edition coolers are never quiet

Load Noise Levels - Battlefield 1

colesdav
MVP

Yes I remember that chart very well.
I will have a think about it more later this week.

It is late here and I have spent far too much time today watching / reading reviews on Vega, searching for where I might be able to get cards,
and posting to this forum. 
It's been fun though .
Maybe AdoredTV / Gamers Nexus will cover the reasons why the Power Requirement is is so high in comparison to the Nvidia GPU's. 
It might be that Vega is actually targeted towards Pro Applications, Compute and Deep Learning, where all profit is.
Bye for now.
Cheers.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

But Vega 56 competes more favorably with Pascal in terms of performance/watt than Vega 64 does.  I will be interested to see the Nano's performance again.  If it is again a lower clocked full Vega card the way the Fiji Nano was, it may be compelling to use in crossfire.  Of course, if it launches at the full Vega 64 price, the way Fiji Nano did, I'll probably pass.

0 Kudos
fzfanboy
Adept II

I hope the miners will leave these alone so the rest of us can get one without waiting months on end. Really want to say goodbye to my 970 and run Vega in my Ryzen rig.

0 Kudos