Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: Time zone for Vega sales?

Hi,

Based on all of the work done by Buildzoid, GamersNexus, on the Vega FE and the RX Vega 56 (based on one sample I understand).
Here is my conclusion on how important the HBM2 memory clock is, provided it translates to the Vega 64.

Vega 64 Memory Spec.

====================

Memory Data Rate1.9Gbps

Memory Speed 945MHz

Memory Size 8GB

Memory TypeHBM2

The HBM2 clock speed on the Vega 64 is 945MHz.

If the Vega 64 could run at 1100MHz wheras the standard HBM2 clock is 945MHz.

Performance Lift in DX12 TimeSpy could be as follows.

Memory Clock % increase = [(1100 - 945) / 945] * 100/1 = 16.4% frequency increase.

Assuming 3% increase in frequency results in 1% Performance increase in TimeSpy DX12 Score.

That means Performance Increase with faster HBM2 Memory on the Vega 64 could be 5.47% in TimeSpy DX12.

That is very significant increase in performance especially since HBM/HBM2 memory is power very efficient and the power increase required to do this is ~ insignificant.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Here is the summary of estimate / actual Performance versus Undervolting, Power Mode/GPU Clock/ and Memory Clock on the Vega 64 based on the reviews I have seen. Putting it all in one place. Still work in progress.

Undervolting.

=========

Edit to follow.

Power Mode/GPU Clock

==================

Edit to follow.

Memory Overclock.

==============

Based on all of the work done by Buildzoid, GamersNexus, on the Vega FE and the RX Vega 56 (based on one sample I understand).
Here is my conclusion on how important the HBM2 memory clock is, provided it translates to the Vega 64.

Vega 64 Memory Spec.

====================

Memory Data Rate1.9Gbps

Memory Speed 945MHz

Memory Size 8GB

Memory TypeHBM2

The HBM2 clock speed on the Vega 64 is 945MHz.

If the Vega 64 could run at 1100MHz wheras the standard HBM2 clock is 945MHz.

Performance Lift in DX12 TimeSpy could be as follows.

Memory Clock % increase = [(1100 - 945) / 945] * 100/1 = 16.4% frequency increase.

Assuming 3% increase in frequency results in 1% Performance increase in TimeSpy DX12 Score.

That means Performance Increase with faster HBM2 Memory on the Vega 64 could be 5.47% in TimeSpy DX12.

That is very significant increase in performance especially since HBM/HBM2 memory is power very efficient and the power increase required to do this is ~ insignificant.

0 Kudos
red5
Challenger

Too busy I'm afraid. Have my annual fall Fragfest LAN party in October, talking to my local university next week about building their esports arena, and I have to find time to build my Ryzen system still. Not to mention I'm expanding from 10 to 12 full time gaming PCs and rebuilding them all into Rosewill gaming cases. I'll have several of them at Fragfest so people can experience Radeon power first hand

colesdav
MVP

Woooowwwwww! .

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Looks great! But I do I hope you don't play "Missile Command" down there. MissileCommand.jpg

red5
Challenger

Lots of Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and many older games actually. Most PCs we've had down there gaming has been 18.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Brilliant!

I think it is a great idea and it must be fun to be able to get lots of friends together and run those games like that.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
red5
Challenger

There are some other pics including some old pictures from when I was first getting started

AMD Radeon gaming LAN - Album on Imgur

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

First sets of overclocking Vega 64 Reviews are starting to roll in.
VEGA 64 OVERCLOCKED! Can it catch the GTX 1080? - YouTube
Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

From what I can tell from the above review ... the reviewer did not undervolt the GPU and try to push the clocks higher / or keep them fioxed to reduce power draw/temps.
I think that Undervolting might have improved performance &/or saved power.
Can anyone out there lucky enough to own a Vega 64 (Air) please have a look at this?

Pity he didnn't have an RX Vega (Liquid) edition for Overclocking tests.

0 Kudos