cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Time zone for Vega sales?

I guess we'll just have to wait for word from AMD if the $499 Vega 64 was in fact and introductory offer only, and if something similar will happen with the Vega 56.  But early September promises the beginning of the AIB custom Vega 64 cards, beginning with ASUS.  And we still don't have any official word on the Vega Nano or Custom variants from other partners.

I agree that it is probably better just to wait a few months and see what the prices do.  Too bad Jensen Huang said that the gaming Volta wouldn't launch until 2018.  A Volta launch would likely have driven the prices down in a mad hurry.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Personally I predict a "GTX1070TI" or a price cut on the GTX1080 and GTX1080TI, but only if Nvidia are concerned about RX Vega 56 and 64 at all.
It seems of the GPU profit is in Professional / Cad/ Deep Learning/ AI applications now.

One thing AMD could do to convince me to go for an RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled card right now would be to allow me the option
to purchase and use a "Vega FE" Radeon Pro driver from Radeon Technology Group, and run it an RX Vega card at a later date.

I really don't know why they do not do this. The Vega chips are the same. The Vregs on the cards are the same. OK the RX Vega has 8GB of HBM2 whilst the
Vega FE has 16GB ... but if High Bandwidth Cache could be connected to a Samsung 960 Evo Series 1TB PCIe NVMe I am pretty sure that would be o.k.
Answers on a postcard please...

colesdav
MVP

Sorry I did not mean to include the above link to the Amazon memory ... but I cannot delete it right now.
will remove it ASAP.

- Link removed.

0 Kudos
xobeloot
Elite

Honestly, I have NEVER seen a GPU launch where they weren't sold out in the blink of an eye.

The statement that MSRP cannot dictate true selling price is why the S = Suggested.

Lots of discussion here that has said just about everything.  Just a wait-and-see game at this point.

I am happy with my 64 and monitor purchase, and I am greatly looking forward to selling my 1080.

red5
Challenger

Well if this isn't a kick in the teeth to gamers. Miners are already buying up all the RX 5** cards, and now they'll have more reason to buy up all the Vega cards.

AMD adds to cryptocurrency craze with beta driver tuned for mining | PC Gamer

xobeloot
Elite

From the reviews i've watched thus far, the excellent productivity aspects of RX Vega make it shine quite brightly as a well balanced gaming/productivity card.

Pair that with a Ryzen 7 and I think you have an incredibly capable system at a very reasonable price point.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

I agree  Vega GPU  has to be "great/good  at everything", not just Gaming.
My next build will likely be Threadripper CPU.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I saw a similar article yesterday I had a look at the "Mining Drivers 'Beta' download.
AMD are optimising drivers for Miners, at the moment only fixing an issue with Hash Rate versus larger DAG file.
Is this really a kick in the teeth for Gamers or is this simply AMD focusing on where they can make the most profit the fastest before the Mining Craze goes away ... if it ever does.

Would it be better if  AMD did not optimise the Drivers and Miners went for Nvidia cards instead?
Would that help AMD produce newer forward thinking Architectures like Vega?

Short term for sure there is a supply problem for Gamers because Miners are buying cards and card prices are inflating as well.
I watched a video yesterday where a Miner had already bought as many Vega cards as possible and was testing them on that new mining driver you mentioned. 

The shortage of cards could be fixed by ramping up production but it is all a balance of how they best make profit I guess.
They will probably concentrate on producing Workstation/Compute cards and new Vega FE type cards and possibly mining cards for the next month and then

start to increase production of more gaming cards in time for Thanksgiving / Christmas.

Gaming GPUs are scarce on the ground and overpriced at the moment where I am for sure.

Cheers.

colesdav
MVP

Here is my post from yesterday...

Re: Vega: New fuel for cryptominers?

colesdav .

Gosh darn it, dag nab it! The AMD Drivers Team is helping those pesky Miners already... enjoy:
AMD's New Mining Block Chain Optimized Driver Tested - Legit ReviewsAMD Helps Ethereum Miners Keep H...

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Agreed.  I can't really fault AMD here.  You have a card that performs as well or worse than the competition for way more power at the wall.  As a business, you have to do what you need to do in order to sell as many of those cards for as much as possible.  If that means catering to miners, so be it.

Of course, that does make it difficult for users who actually want to use the card for gaming to get one at MSRP.  But I suppose, that is why we have communities like this one.  If I see any reference Vega 64 board pop up in my area, I'll post on this forum.  Doesn't look like anything is available right now, but I will keep my eyes open.