cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nec_v20
Challenger

Ryzen voltage

It is a pretty pathetic state of affairs that the Ryzen CPUs are still, even after ABBA, overvolted to the tune of 0.1 Volts or more.

There would be no problem hitting the advertised clock speeds if the CPU didn't get swamped with a ridiculous amount of volts.

The Ryzen Master software should have a way of setting a voltage offset, so that this power hunger can be tamed.

If this is not seen to, then AMD can start seeing a lot more people get pissed off - and if, as a result of this overvolting, CPUs start to fail then I can see a class-action lawsuit coming their way.

0 Likes
25 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

0.1 is not a big-overvolt
maybe see if your MoBo Bios can set an Offset (this is what i do with my 2600X)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

0.1v is a lot of different mate.  1.2v to 1.3v is a big jump in temperature. The same with 1.3v to 1.4V

0 Likes
nec_v20
Challenger

0.1 volt is the difference between 1.39 and 1.29 Volts.

Now you will be running your 2600X on around 1.24 Volts - now go and increase that up to 1.34 Volts and see what that does to your temps.

Setting a Motherboard offset messes up the single core boost.

olympicasseater
Adept III

My issue can be found here: Ryzen 7 3700x high temp with Noctua NH D15S cooler 

Idling is 57C

Surfing on the web occasionally 70C

Playing Battlefield V multiplayers working close to 80C

Aida64 with CPU,FPU,Cache, and Memory check default yield 90C to 95C

CPU max stock voltage is near 1.5v or 1.5v . It spike to 1.45v - 1.5v with temp increase rapidly! Open notepad will make it jump 0.9v to 1.45v in no time.  While surfing on the web, I see 0.9v jump to 1.4ishv more than 1.3 and below. Only see below 1.3v and below if the cpu is at 100% usage. At 100% usage, CPU will drop to 4Ghz with 1.3V and sometimes 1.2V

Everyday  usage will be 0.9v to 1.4v - 1.5v. I am now questioning the longevity of this r7 3700x because I want to keep it for at least 8 years before upgrading like the FX 8350.

This chip is cool by D15s air cooler.

I try offset negative .5 to .7 but my system crash in Aida64 stress test and normal usage like what the *beep*?

Let me go for the most obvious thing first, have you updated the BIOS to 1.0.0.3ABBA yet? If not, then that is the very first thing you should do and you should do that immediately.

The other thing I would like to ask you is, when you applied the thermal paste (TIM) did you do the usual "Grain of rice" sized blob in the middle and then put the cooler on (I take it you did use the Noctua TIM that came with the cooler)? This was a good way of applying TIM when the hottest spot was in the centre of the PCB, however with the Ryzen 3000 series of CPUs the hottest spot is in a corner of PCB because the CPU (chiplet) is no longer located in the centre.

What this means is that there is a good chance that quite a bit of that hotspot is not covered with TIM and is not transferring heat to the cooler. I have a Noctua NH-U12A cooler and you can see my temps under load above - and my fans are not even ramping up to the point where they are audible. I have spread the TIM making sure that the entire IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) is covered.

You shouldn't be afraid to put a bit more onto the CPU because the Noctua thermal paste is not electrically conductive and won't cause a short if you use a bit too much. The thing is that if you have the IHS covered, then, as you use the system the excess will be "pumped" out causing a very thin film of paste to interface between the IHS and the cooler.

With the grain of rice method the paste will not spread to where it is needed as you screw down the cooler.

On idle my system ticks over at 1.05 Volts at 29.5° C. Because I have had two spine operations and I have spinal arthritis I keep my room quite warm.

Another thing to consider is that ASUS are nasty about how they configure their BIOS so that they "win" in benchmarks and you should check to see what values the BIOS configures the system.

Under no circumstances should you use any overclocking options offered by the motherboard. I have found with my system that this conflicts with Ryzen Master and results very unstable clocks (I have a GigaByte AURUS X470 Gaming 7 WiFi motherboard running the ABBA BIOS).

I am on the 1.0.0.3ABBA and latest BIOS for my X470F from ASUS

I use the double lines method with MX4 paste

Putting more paste on CPU will cause high temp issue and possibly get out of the cpu pcb and onto the pins.

Disable PBO no work on temp. Aida64 with CPU,FPU,Memory, and Cache stress test will yield 90C to 95C.

I can dial 4.2ghz and  manual 1.3v in BIOS  but on idle my cpu clock speed and voltage is not going down? Latest Windows and amd chipset. Ryzen balance power with min processor 10% and max 100%.

I have looked around and you are not the only one having these problems, and they have been reported even on ASUS forums and ASUS is doing absolutely NOTHING about it, and have been doing NOTHING for over a year.

I would suggest getting rid of that piece of garbage before it fries your CPU.

Can you share the link or source?

I replace MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon for this X470F because MSI still have a boot time issue and slow in updating BIOS......

Not just one link, but rather a hell of a lot of them, just put the following search term into google:

high temperature ROG Strix X470 F

You will see that you are not alone.

Actually if you search ryzen 7 3700x than you will find a lot of people have this issue too. I read somewhere a lot of people with AIO have temp up to 80 and 90c.

Thanks, your post about Ryzen Master needing voltage offset is interesting information.
Can you tell me which version of Ryzen Master you are running please?

A full System Specification would also be useful.

CPU:

Motherboard:
BIOS Version:

RAM:

GPU:

MEMORY:

OS Version:

PSU:

I have a Ryzen 3600 based machine and it has been running hotter than I would have expected.
I have not fully investigated it yet.

I have just downloaded latest version of Ryzen Master from here:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master 
And I read the following:
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf 
https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-03/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-and-AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users... 

Ryzen Master is Overclocking Software, and when you install it you are agreeing that you take the risk of reduced processor life etc, etc. The same is true if you enable overclocking in AMD Wattman on AMD GPUs so any talk of Class Action lawsuits seems like a non starter to me. Here is what I see when I install the software:

pastedImage_1.png

Here is what I see when I start the Ryzen Master Software for the first time:

pastedImage_5.png

Here is the version information.
I have just installed it on an overclocked Ryzen 2700X as my Ryzen 3600 is busy at the moment.

pastedImage_6.png

Here are the overclocked settings on my Ryzen 2700X

pastedImage_7.png

If I go to Profile 1 and set Manual Mode I seem to have control of CPU Voltage:
pastedImage_8.png

Lets see if I can reduce the CPU Voltage by 0.0625:
pastedImage_9.png

The Software seems to think so.
pastedImage_1.png

However I am running an Asus Crosshair Hero VII Wifi X470 Motherboard with a customized BIOS profile and it is not the most up to date BIOS.
The Ryzen Master User Manual recommends running it with default Motherboard BIOS Settings on latest BIOS.

My full System Specs are here:

Specifications

CPURyzen 2700x
CoolerCorsair H100i
MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
Memory64GB (4x16GB) Corsair 3200 DDR4.
Graphics4 R9 FuryX , Two Powercolor, Two Sapphire.
Disc Drive 1Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD. Windows 10 64bit OS. Nvidia Drivers for RTX2080OC.
Disc Drive 2Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD. Windows 10 64bit OS. AMD Drivers for RX Vega 64 Liquid/R9 FuryX.
Disc Drive 3Seagte 5TB Portable Red to hold Video and Game Libraries. 
PSUCorsair AX1600i
CaseCorsair 500D Obsidian RGB SE Mid Tower Case - Black
MonitorBenQ 4K 32 Inch HDR.
FansAdditional Corsair HD120 RGB Fans used in the H100i Cooler.
Keyboard.Vintage IBM PC Keyboard.
Capture CardInvestigating Elgato and Avermedia devices for 4K60 FPS.

I will test it and see what happens.

pastedImage_1.png

The software thinks it passed on Ryzen 2700X.

pastedImage_2.png

Clearly I should actually measure the motherboard BIOS voltage applied using a multimeter, run benchmark tests like you, and the results may be different on my 3600 based machine. 
I am not running the very latest BIOS for this particular Ryzen 2700X based machine either. This is just a quick look.

Meantime please note this is a User-User Forum and perhaps the best way for you to proceed is to open an email support case with AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Thanks.

0 Likes

I made sure to run this and reboot as specified in the Ryzen Master User Guide.

C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster>HPET.bat
HPET is Enabled successfully, system restart is required

C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster>

Running latest version of HWiNFO64 Sensors indicates that the Voltage was not reduced using Ryzen Master.
The Sensors still report 1.419 (1.41875) not 1.413(1.4125) as expected on the Ryzen 2700X. 
I do have Asus AISuite Installed but it is not automatically running.
I am running with old BIOS version 2203 for the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI motherboard.
I should be updating the BIOS soon so I can check again.
Windows Version is 19.03 (OS Build 18362.356) updated today, and passes system checks.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here is the CPU(Enhanced) Sensor HWiNFO64 information. It clearly shows that despite setting, applying, and testing CPU voltage of 1.40625 that the voltage is still the original BIOS setting of 1.4185 - reported as 1.419. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I can reduce the CPU Voltage using AISuite III:

pastedImage_2.png

Ryzen Master still reports this, even after using AISuite III to reduce Core Voltage to 1.40625:

pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes

Exiting and relaunching Ryzen Master makes no difference to the reported voltage.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

AMD Crimson ReLive/Adrenalin/Adrenalin 2019 have the following "Report Issue" option to report software issues online:
pastedImage_1.png

Why is there no "Report Issue" option in Ryzen Master?
The only help optioon is here:
pastedImage_2.png

That option takes me to here, which tells me how to use Processor Voltage Control:

pastedImage_3.png

I understand I am not using the very latest BIOS, and Asus AISuite III might be causing a software conflict such that setting voltage control in Ryzen Master may not work.

However it would be nice to at least be able to "Report Issue" Online.

0 Likes

I am starting to test Ryzen Master behaviour on the following system:
https://community.amd.com/message/2925828 
I will update my findings as soon as I can.
Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi, I am looking at the latest version pf Ryzen Master behavior on Libertas now. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here is version information. 
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Setting to manual mode, Voltage set to 1.0625

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Setting to manual mode, Voltage set to 1.1
pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.pngStress Test passes:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Dropping to 1.0 volts: 

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

I continued to drop the CPU voltage down to 0.95 Volts at which point the PC reset as that was insufficient voltage to keep the CPU running stable. 

In conclusion I have tested the latest version of Ryzen Master on two different systems with the following results: 

1. Ryzen 2700X with older BIOS than current version and Asus AISuiteIII installed on ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI motherboard.  
In this case the latest version of Ryzen Master cannot decrease the CPU voltage. 
AISuite III controls the CPU voltage in this case, and I can decrease the CPU voltage with no problems. 

Reason why latest version of Ryzen master cannot control voltage could be because of outdated BIOS or because of software conflict with ASUS AISuite III or it may indeed be broken with this system.
I can debug this one further if you want. 
I intend to update the BIOS to latest version soon, and I can uninstall AISuite III if needed.  

2. Ryzen 3600  with latest BIOS on MSI Tomahawk B450 motherboard.
In this case Ryzen Master appears to be working fine based on the above testing. 

I think you provided some benchmark data based on Cinebench testing but I cannot see the post now. 
I am about to upgrade the cooler on the Ryzen 3600 based PC to a Wraith Prism RGB from the original Wraith Stealth cooler. 
So if you can re-post the benchmark data I can attempt to repeat on this system. 

Thanks.  

0 Likes

For some reason the mods here decided to blank out my posts.

I have had a clarifying exchange on another thread I started with regard to configuring Ryzen 3000 which might be of interest to you:

https://community.amd.com/message/2937866?commentID=2937866 

0 Likes

Ryzen 2700X with latest BIOS version 2803 for ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII motherboard and Asus AISuite III uninstalled.

Ryzen Master cannot control the CPU voltage at all.

I am using non default BIOS settings.
I will try with BIOS settings at default next, although in my opinion Ryzen Master should be able to change CPU voltage if AISUITE III has been uninstalled properly.

Thanks.

0 Likes
DavidMarkly
Journeyman III

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and it is running at 4.3 GHz and 1.2 volts? Will it cause any problems in the future?

0 Likes

1.2V will be completely fine.

0 Likes