Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

ghost13
Adept III

RTX 3000 and what i think

Hy my fellow Red Teamers!

September 1st. marked the Presentation of the new RTX Cards.

For me as a long time AMD user it was really cool to see what Nvidia has done with RTX and AI.

Yes, they are on that Samsung 8nm Process and yes the cards consume a lot of power and they are not cheap like always with Nvidia.

I don't know but it seems like AMD has a lot of work to do. I am not happy with the removal of FRTC and i recently had a Black Screen "again". They have done some fine work and implemented some futures in to the Driver. Picture Quality is really nice when i compare to Pascal.

I hope AMD/Radeon have something fine in the works with Navi2x. I will wait to compare the new GPU's but i want to say that i was really impressed with RTX 3000.

What do you think?

S@M
54 Replies
noko
Adept III

Appears the initial Crash To Desktop issue for the RTX 3000 series was more a driver issue than design problems. While the differing power designs allowed with the reference design could aggravate the issue depending upon how quick the voltage regulator could respond and how quick the capacitive components could make up for that response time without dropping voltage too low. As in a rapid boost algorithm. Anyways the new drivers performance is just as good as the release drivers. So that is good news with Ampere.

The total lack of supply of Ampere cards is a big let down for many, expecting customers to spend literally hours if not days hunting one down is not taking care of their customer and frankly is disrespectful of them. It is like if Sony decided to release PS5 with less than 1 million units, show amazing looking games and titles, knowing the interest and how much their users have supported them. Nvidia is the #1 discrete graphics card maker and it appears they have not even released 100,000 cards of Ampere.

Still think AMD should leverage their drivers UI to their advantage for this launch. Giving useful options to their customers, I refined the names of the settings listed earlier:

1. Eco - Most Energy Efficient
  2. Standard - All listed specs
  3. Ruby - FAST! KILLER (Nvidia ) Gamers Utopia Speed

Their is another parameter which no GPU card maker has and that is noise. Would be interesting having a Metric, noise. Noise sensor that isolates only the video card noise, probably would need to use AI but to also have ability to set parameters for given noise levels would be utterly awesome so to speak. Could just be a sensor that the software measures variance of the cards fans looking at fans speeds at 0 to 100% used for calibration for the parameter with a low load CPU load maybe and recalibrated as needed. Very useful for nighttime usage, HTPC and other types of usage.

Another problem for us that use custom loops is the sheer number of different PCBs vendors used for the Ampere launch.  Even if you could get a card, would it be one that uses a PCB that currently has a liquid block in development?  The founders edition, ASUS, and EVGA cards do not use the reference PCB, nor the same PCB as one another.  AMD for their part, will only be releasing reference models this year for the RX 6000 series.  So likely, all of them will share the reference PCB design.

The same happened with RX Vega AIB GPUs, not that there were many of them.

0 Likes

RE: Still think AMD should leverage their drivers UI to their advantage for this launch.

They need to clean that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI up. It is an ergonomic mess as a starter for 10.

RE: Giving useful options to their customers.

They aready have Gaming, Esports, Standard, and Power Saving Modes.
very little difference though.

RE: Ruby - FAST!
I do not think AMD having an "Nvidia Killer" mode is realistic.

AMD have consistently failed to produce an "Nvidia Killer" since the R9 290X in October 2013.
That's 7 years, not nm

Speaking of "Noise Sensor" ... The R9 290x didn't need one of those.

0 Likes

Screen Resolution = 4K in the following example.

Spot the difference:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Both Gaming and ESports are the same. Why?
Why would an ESports Player turn on Radeon AntiLag it only "kind of works" for GPU limited scenarios <= 60FPS anyhow.
ESports gamers do not play at those low < 60 FPS ranges.
And why turn on Radeon Image Sharpening at all for either case if it is not accompanied by resolution upscaling  to enhance performance (- see Sapphire Trixx...).

Power Saving Mode Range of 75-144 Hz will not save much power with those Chill_Min and Chill Max settings.
It  will limit gaming performance. especially for keyboard only input FPS with those settings.
AMD could change Chill Behaviour to make it more responsive and not suffer those problems.
FRTC slider is gone so you have to turn on in game Vsync to avoid screen tearing with FreeSync on when you move your mouse around if you want to set Max FPS to 300 to improve keyboard only input FPS.
Having to turn VSync on means extra laggy response below monitor FreeSync Range.

pastedImage_3.png

Standard just turns Hialgo Chill, Boost, and "Anti Lag" off - which is the sensible thing to do.
Same goes for the ReShade Filter aka Radeon Image Sharpening.

Radeon Enhanced Sync is still broken causing game freezing and BSOD as usual so it is off.
It is still a known issue in the latest release notes: "

• Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround."

pastedImage_4.png

If I change an individual button - it creates a Custom Profile.

pastedImage_5.png

Which is then lost if I click on standard ... so what is the point of "Custom" if you cannoty save it?

pastedImage_6.png

A general point about the "great" Adrenalin 2020  GUI/UI.
Do you think they could possibly use more screen space for those options above.

Why do they not have the same style of buttons as with the Radeon Overlay?

Why the inconsistent User Interface between the two?

pastedImage_8.png

If they comined the Radio Buttons onto the description they could have moved the Advanced options to the RHS of the screen, avoiding having to use a scrollbarjust to see the options:

pastedImage_9.png

It is a mess.

I don't think it is a mess but I do believe some have an issue finding the settings due to how the menu's can be buried below others or nested. I find the UI superior to the real mess of Nvidia's antiquated one with features I use often such as the built in OCing tools and the game profiles where I do setup OCing profiles and settings for a game.

I think you mean you would like to see Custom expanded into savable profiles hopefully with ability to save a name to them. The built in profiles I agree are kinda pointless.

Chill works wonderfully, not sure what your issue is with it, as for Enhanced Sync I don't ever recall an issue with it but also never notice that it did anything either. I like Nvidia's adaptive sync much better that I never had any lag issues inherit with regular Vsync.

Geforce Experience is an abomination with the log in that constantly forgets, requiring to log in which will not accept a previous used password (REALLY!?), why even have a password other than to use your data. That is a pure BS way to treat your customer, don't ever use Google log in on it unless you want your whole internet experience of pop up's to explode to utter crap! Currently on my Threadripper system, I have 2x 1080Ti's and the Nvidia interface is not even in the same league as the AMD UI. Not to say AMD cannot streamline and make it more efficient.  

0 Likes

I much prefer running GeForce Experience and MSI Afterburner oin Nvidia GPU.
Nvidia Control panel works fine for me. It could do with better scaling at 2K and 4K though.

Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI is far better than Adrenalin 2020  GUI/UI.

Radeon Chill is useless and kills performance. It could easily be fixed. Need to put FRTC back in the GUI/UI.
I have given plenty of feedback about why on previous posts but I am so bored with it I can't even be bothered repeating it here.

0 Likes

There are differences, but they are under the "advanced" carrot on the menu bar.

0 Likes

If you mean there sre diffrences between Gaming, Esports, Power Saving, Standard presets under "Advanced Tab" which is normally minimised.
Not on any GPU I have seen - up to Arenalin 2020 20.9.2 driver at least.

0 Likes
ghost13
Adept III

AMD is on the Top of the Game!

I am so Stoked!

Now i have to sell some of my Old Stuff to get Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000

S@M
0 Likes

Wait for independent GPU benchmarks and see if the GPU drivers are stable first if I were you.

0 Likes

Agreed.  This is probably the most competitive AMD has been on the CPU and GPU side simultaneously since the ATI merger.  But it is always worth waiting for full benchmarks, they aren't far off now.

0 Likes

Not so sure about that. I wait for benchmarks.

0 Likes
nitrq
Journeyman III

from all my tester buds, they are kinda surprised how well the 6000 series mixed with the 5000 series CPU's it seems like a win win for us AMD die hards.

0 Likes