cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

hargreve_inc
Adept II

Overclocking Ryzen and Asrock Killer SLi

Good day. There is Asrock X370 Killer Sli, AMD Ryzen 1600x, 16 gb Corsair Vengeancr LPX Dual Rank, DeepCool Gammax S40. CPU and memory can not be overclocked. BIOS version 4.50. Expose the memory of 2800 with XMP 2.0, CPU 3800. Save, reboot. Overclock saved. Start Windows, open task explorer, no overclocking 😕 Bad BIOS? Can I roll it back through Instant flash on 3.10 version?

0 Likes
10 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried contacting ASRock to get a older BIOS?

0 Likes

There was no answer. In fact, this is not the only mowing BIOS, the third

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Usually to validate the OC clocks you would use, instead the task manager, tools as CPU-Z, HWiFO, your motherboard software and also the AMD software called AMD Ryzen Master.
The task manager is not always accurate when it come to give precise clocks.
Please can you try one of these tools and check if the OC is really not applied.

0 Likes

Hello,

Of course I use all the programs listed. If you overclock through the ryzen master then you have to reinstall Windows. The computer just restarts indefinitely. clrcmos does not help. The last 3 bios such cases. I heard from the asrock this is quite normal.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Understood, so there is different issues here, one related with Ryzen master that do not work, the other one is related to the bios oc that do not apply.
Be also aware that the some Microsoft/Intel patch brought issues on ryzen setups, to fix the security flaws our cpu's, in general have at the moment.

These issues were fixed with the latest Microsoft patch, so be sure also to have installed the latest updates, the bug caused the rig to fail to boot completely.

To be honest i do not know much about Ryzen master not working properly, but it is the 1st time i hear that an oc is not applied through bios.
I mean by this, if the bios oc settings are saved, reboot and come back to the bios, if the oc is still saved, there is no reason it would not apply under windows.

You need to check if the oc is saved after a reboot, if not usually it's because the motherboard can't boot with the setting you saved and revert to stock.

Because these settings were not stable enough, this is true especially for ram settings more than basic cpu settings, since the ram clocks are more sensible to validate.

If the motherboard find that the settings are stable enough to boot into the bios, usually the rig will boot with these settings.
Then if still they are not stable, windows loading will crash and not reach the desktop or crash as soon you reach the desktop or ran some stability test.

0 Likes

Guys, so tell me all the same, can I take a flash drive, fill in the old firmware and flash the instant flash?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Well maybe if a lot of users tell you the same thing, maybe spend a bit of time to think about it.
I completely understand that you would flash a bios in order to solver the issue, but the bios flash is your last resort to mitigate an issue of bios corruption.
If no bios corruption is present, usually there is no issues with saving the oc parameters.
Another thing you can check and replace is the bios CMOS battery, that could bring these kind of issues if completely discharged/faulty.

You can flash you bios with a previous version, nothing against that but again not sure it will solve you oc not saving issue.
You would need to force the flash with commands if the tool do not allow you to downgrade bios by default.

0 Likes

I changed the battery, it did not help. I spent two days and got overclocked 4.0 Ghz CPU and 2666 memory. This is the limit

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm glad you could oc the cpu, 4.0Ghz is pretty the standard limit for those cpu, maybe 4.1Ghz if a good chip and cooling.
So good job on that!

For the memory it is a bit more difficult, it depend if you own good memory chips, the bios you are running and the ability of the motherboard to provide high clocks.
The latest bios usually get an updated AGESA memory profiles for oc.
The only thing i could advice is to try the small tool called Ryzen DRAM Calculator that you can find on the OCN forum. There is an how to, with a lot of tips and information for the memory oc.

0 Likes

I do not understand why the ryzen master came out with this. The computer simply turns on and black screen, then reboots and so constantly. CLRcmos does not help, pull out the battery too. Only reinstalling Windows

0 Likes