cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

billthecat
Adept I

No thanks AMD

I find it hard to imagine just what the hell is going though AMD's mind but for the very first time I'm actually mad at AMD.

I've bought AMD cpu's from way back with my first AMD 386 40mhz cpu and a AMD/ATI AIW video card. Good products at good prices.  I am more sensitive to this current price's due to being disabled so it's hard to afford new products and def. can't go anywhere near high end parts. And now see low to mid range going for high end prices all I can say is no thanks AMD. I just don't get into being someone who wants to fork out gas money for someones new Ferrari.  Prices will have to change quite a lot before I see my way to even think of buying any of your products.  

I know everyone wants to get rich, and I was scared when AMD was heading down the drain before Ryzen came around and have up till now AMD was one business I actually liked. But now, putting a god damm mid-range video cards in step with Nvidia's massive price hike is not nice at all. And with the price of the new cpu line all I can see is a very greedy company to fit in with the other scumbag's (Intel, Nvidia) prices that are both hyper inflated due to lack of supply on Intel's side and just no competition on the Nvidia side saw prices raised beyond normal costs. So AMD is getting into the lets screw the end users mindset that seems to currently be the norm for tech, games ect....

0 Likes
57 Replies

Good.
It's a start.
I hope it's a real MSRP drop unlike the one with Vega 64 last time around that only applied to an initial batch of GPU's on sale.

I still think thge price is too high if you compare the fact that the Nvidia GPU's have good looking dual fan coolers, both with backplates and they are offering 2 free games. (NVIDIA to Offer "Super Fast. Supernatural" Bundle for RTX SUPER: Wolfenstein: Young Blood and Contro... ).

The XBOX game pass currently on offer with AMD GPU can be purchased already at low cost. You don't get to keep any games.

Those Nvidia RTX 2060 and 2070 Super cards have higher power consumption so maybe AMD power consumption will be similar at the same performance level.
Really looking forward to read reviews tomorrow.

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

The Radeon VII is probably redundant now.  The 5700XT is close in performance for $399, while the RTX 2080 Super will be quite a bit faster at the $699.  Wouldn't be surprised if we see it phased out.

0 Likes

0 Likes

New Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-7-2
No mention of performance issues on older AMD GPUs. 

I can say, that 19.7.2 does not work well with the Radeon VII.  While playing Destiny 2, 19.7.2 will cause broccoli errors and crashes to desktop even at stock clocks.  19.5.2 is stable overclocked to 2025 MHz or so, while 19.4.1 was stable up to 2100 MHz. 

AMD really must not like Destiny 2.  After the initial Adrenaline drivers lead to long load times that remained for 6 months, now the Ryzen 3000 series won't launch the game at all and the latest adrenaline drivers crash even at stock clocks. 

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I have not tried running Destiny 2 on those drivers yet.
I missed out on purchasing a Radeon VII at launch day, then after reviews came out I decided to wait for an AIB card not they are already EOL.
I will not purchase one now that Navi is out and, given they must have a very small install base, I do not know what sort of driver support to expect. 

I guess all you can do is file AMD Reporting form or start an Email support case.

You have probably seeen this but here it is anyhow:  How to Fix broccoli and other Error codes Destiny 2 - YouTube 

My latest AMD GPU is PowerColor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon, which I just use an OpenCL GPU in Blender along with FuryX/Nano's, and RX Vega 64 Liquid which I am also mostly use for Blender as well. I will take a look at Destiny 2 for you on the RX Vega 64 Liquid if I get a chance in next few days.

Good luck.

0 Likes

I am back on 19.4.1 and that works fine.  Unfortunately the Radeon VII is great for doing fourier transforms and running scientific applications.  I doubt we'll see another GPU with this level of FP64 performance in quite some time.

0 Likes

Since it's already updating I will try it out anyhow ...
I will let you know if I repeat the crashing.
Bye.
pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes

I just tested destiny 2 using 19.4.2. with i7-4790K + single R9 FuryX or Dual R9 Fury X in Crossfire.
I will take a look at running it on RX Vega 64 Liquid later.
It seems to be running with no problems for me in the early areas of the game at least.
Linlk to test video here: Test Destiny 2 on AMD Adrenalin 19.7.2 - YouTube 
System information here:
pastedImage_1.png
It may well be something specific to Radeon VII drivers.

I note Radeon VII is missing from the GPU Upgrade list: pastedImage_2.png

Interesting, good observation.  The Radeon VII is listed in the release notes for 19.7.2 though.

release.png

I have tried removing everything with the DDU and reinstalling, and 19.7.2 is still a crash happy mess.  19.4.1 is working much better.

0 Likes