cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

Esteemed Contributor III

Re: No thanks AMD

Thank you. It's not for me it's to attempt to get AMD Drivers team to improve DX11 performance on R9Fury/RX480/580/Vega64 and maybe Radeon VII. 
You never know, it might help increase Radeon VII position versus RTX2080 since most games are DX11... 
No automatic benchmark. Please swap over to:
https://community.amd.com/thread/239684
We can discuss in more detail there.
Either the original poster (hitbm47 ) can discuss where you need to get to in the game or I will help if I get time. 
Please update that post if you are ready.
Thank you.

Elite
Elite

Hi prydecolesdav

I really like my RX 480 and the R9 280 I had, but AMD has huge driver performance bug issues as you can see in the post colesdav‌ linked here of Crysis 3.

There are barely things wrong with Radeon cards themselves, but rather seriously with their drivers, especially when pairing an average Nvidia GPU + average CPU versus pairing any relatively new GCN GPU + average CPU.

I am also not that bothered with ray tracing, since rasterization was the best method computer scientists came up with for rendering Graphics. Ray Tracing uses more accurate calculations, but doesn't fit very efficiently within the graphics card pipeline.

For Crysis 3, if you would be willing, you just have to play the first chapter until just after you destroy the helicopter on the rainy bridge, where you then go through a green lazer room, an to your right their are large windows where GPU usage drops to almost nothing on Radeon cards to produce 20FPS on Windows 10 64-bit, whereas a GTX 780 from colesdav‌ can produce 60FPS+ in that scene.

This happens in a lot of games with Radeon cards, and @AMD should not expect their customers to afford more expensive CPUs than Nvidia customers just to barely reach minimum FPS PAR with Nvidia.

Kind regards

Jacques

Esteemed Contributor III

I think this is worth watching if you are interested in the significant improvements in Navi compared to GCN.
RDNA vs TURING - The END of NVidia’s dominance - YouTube 

i understand your complaint, and it is true that the lack of true competition to Nvidia on the GPU side of things is disappointing to say the least, but navi is in it's diapers just now, im am more then certain that just like with intel that raised prices and decided that 4 cores is enough for the average joe, and than came ryzen and slapped them in the face, same thing will happen with amd punching at Nvidia, and i'm certain that navi will beat out the competition 

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Looks like we will likely see price cuts pretty quickly.  If indeed the "Super" editions of the RTX 2060 and 2070 are released on 7/9/19 at the $399 and $499 price point AMD may reduce the prices a bit.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

There is already a leaked unboxing video showing the two new Navi GPU's.
I will not point to the link.
However if it is accurate:
RX5700XT points of interest. Red LED Radeon Logo. Display outputs right on the edge of the PCIe slot to maximize airflow. Additional air intake at rear of the GPU. 
RX5700.    points of interest. No LED Logo. Same display output placement. No additional air intake at rear of the GPU. Surprisingly, no backplate.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

I forgot to mention. According to the leaked unboxing video the TDP reported for these cards is just the TDP of the GPU and cannot be compared to the TDP reported on Nvidia website card specs which include everything. The RX5700XT has an 8+6 pin connector.

On the up side, from a different video, the performance comparisons from E3 were made against Nvidia Founders Edition RTX2060 and 2070 GPUs.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Finally got time to download the game, will try to make time to get to the bridge (I get bored quick with single player games) but you all failed to mention something I have been craving.....MADDEN!

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Not really much of an upside anymore.  The RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 Super will now occupy those price points so those are the GPUs we have to compare the 5700 against.  The regular old RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 are being phased out entirely and only the super variants will exist at the same price.

The upside is, the AMD cards, from Navi to the Radeon VII will likely have to drop in price based on NVidia's up scaled performance per dollar.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

The price is too high not even takling standard RTX 2070 and 2060 into account, which likely auto-overclock by ~ 9% on GPU core plus additional memory bandwidth overclocking possible in a dual fan version of those GPUs. 

Never mind those new RTX2070 and 2060 Super cards from Nvidia.
Is anyone surprised that Nvidia did this?

If there really is no backplate on those RX5700 blower coolers I think that really needs changed.
It will make the RX5700 GPU look very "cheap" in comparison to RTX2060/Super cards.

I still wait to see independent benchmarks in the hope that Navi launches well.
Hopefully it comes out with a working UEFI BIOS, good working drivers for the reviews, and I hope it performs well against those Nvidia GPU's this time.
I am hoping we do not see a repeat of the RX Vega 64/56 or Radeon VII launch reviews, because first impressions last.

0 Kudos